10G tank with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ejaramillo01

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a 10G tank that I used to QT my fish before I added to my 100 G tank. But so far, I'm happy with what I have in my big tank and I'm not planing to add more fish. So, I recently start to add shrimp to my 10G, I have cherry shrimp, tiger shrimp and ghost shrimp on it. I started with around 15 shrimp total, and now I have like 40 ( they have been reproducing fast).
The tank has some plants, manly java fern, anubias, and some moss balls. I also have an Apple snail. The lights are small led fixture which has been growing the plants really good. Filter is a Small Marineland Penguin with the biowheel, the temp is around 78 to 80 degrees.

In order to keep the bio filter I have 4 cherry barbs in the tank. Here are my questions:
1. If the shrimp keep reproducing, how many can I sustain in the tank? How much bioload a shrimp generates?
2. My wife wants to add more fish to this tank... She wants a colorful small fish, what kind of fish can be added without risking the shrimp ( to be eat because some are baby shrimps)? How many more would you recommend ?
3. My water quality in the tank is good, 0 Ammonia and Nitrites, and 20 ppm of Nitrates. I noticed that even with the small amount of fish on it, the Nitrates peak to 40 ppm really fast, like in 4 days, so I do 2 PWC per week to keep them down. What could be the reason of this fast spike?

Wait for your comments , opinions, or answers.........

Edgar

1. IDK how much bioload a shrimp generates. My guess if it get's overpopulated, you could try to transfer some to your 100 I guess. Snacks for fish?
2. Perhaps endler's livebearers, maybe one or two.
3. I'm not sure. Could be the small tank, bioloads build up quickly in there. My nitrates spike up to 40 every week in my 40 gallon.

bruinsbro1997 said:
1. IDK how much bioload a shrimp generates. My guess if it get's overpopulated, you could try to transfer some to your 100 I guess. Snacks for fish?
2. Perhaps endler's livebearers, maybe one or two.
3. I'm not sure. Could be the small tank, bioloads build up quickly in there. My nitrates spike up to 40 every week in my 40 gallon.

Thanks bruinsbro, I never thought about the snack idea, but sounds good to transfer some later on to the big tank for snacks...

Do the cherry barbs will bite or pick on the livebeares?

Subscribing to this thread. I am planning a shrimp only planted tank.
I have read on other threads, that shrimp have minimal bioload. But from experience, more plants keep nitrates down. You could sell some RCS. They go quick on here.

Deckape said:
I have read on other threads, that shrimp have minimal bioload. But from experience, more plants keep nitrates down. You could sell some RCS. They go quick on here.

Go for it! It is really fun the shrimp tank, they reproduce fast and they keep the gravel super clean.... Are fun to watch and a 10 G could be easy located in any room at your house....
Good idea also about selling them, I just need to investigate how do they need to be ship...lol
Thanks

Deckape said:

Yeah, in, my shrimp tank I have some wisteria, anubias, and java fern, with around 30 RCS and don't ever see nitrates.

(and yes its cycled haha)

00youknowit00 said:
Yeah, in, my shrimp tank I have some wisteria, anubias, and java fern, with around 30 RCS and don't ever see nitrates.

(and yes its cycled haha)

*edit* real plants are pretty much imperative (IMO) with shrimp, (IMO) they go hand in hand.

*edit 2* :/ sorry, on the app and must have hit quote instead of edit..

You don't need any fish to "keep" the biofilter. The bacterial population will adapt to whatever bioload you have. Shrimp usually produce very little ammonia, so the nitrates could be from the barbs, excess food, etc. As far as fish that will harm the fish, there's not much that will harm adult shrimp in a 10g, but most fish will happily eat the babies, including the barbs. Lost of plants/cover will help babies survive.

--Adeeb

adeebm said:
You don't need any fish to "keep" the biofilter. The bacterial population will adapt to whatever bioload you have. Shrimp usually produce very little ammonia, so the nitrates could be from the barbs, excess food, etc. As far as fish that will harm the fish, there's not much that will harm adult shrimp in a 10g, but most fish will happily eat the babies, including the barbs. Lost of plants/cover will help babies survive.

--Adeeb

Thanks for the info Adeebm!
I think that you are right, I just have 4 cherry barbs, and maybe I trend to overfeed them.... I will reduce the amount....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom