10gl community tank questions..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nolimit06

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am getting a little 10 gallon tank setup and I want to make sure I do this one by the book as my last tank was just a rush because I was new to the hobby but I have not lost any of my original fish :) Anyways I have a 10 gallon that I rinsed and filled with cleaned play sand (watched and read a bunch on the process) and I am letting the little bit of "dust" settle over night. I have a Fluval C3 on this tank set to the lowest setting and I am wanting know a few things.

1) What all can be added to a tank during a fishless cycle? (Plants etc.)

2) What fish and how many are recommended? (I am looking for vibrant colorful fish that are active and fun to watch)

3) What is the best lighting to bring out the color of the fish?

Anything else you guys think I need to know please let me know! :)

PS: Is it possible to add pool filter sand on top of the sand I already have in the tank?

How deep is the sand you have now?
If it's less than 2" deep, then you can add more sand. If it's a different color, expect they will end up mixing. You don't want your sand to be too much over 2" deep in a small tank as it can pack down and cause issues.

You can plant the tank heavily now if you like. It will HELP the cycle.

What kind of light do you have? If you have the regular 2 socket screw in bulbs, you can swap those out for 2 mini Compact Fluorescent bulbs. I use 10-15w CFLs. Make sure your hood is rated for the wattage. CFLs will grow plants just fine. I aim for around 6500K, but other Kelvin ratings will work.

Try easy low light plants. You can find hints Here on the planted tank section at the top and a ton of plants listed on The Planted Tank Forum site (TPT) as well a Aquatic Plant Central (APC) http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/go.php.

Java Ferns are one of my favorites.
Bolbitis (African Water Ferns)
Anubias
Bacopa
And my very favorite Cryptocorynes.
C wendtii is very easy.

Here is a list of possible low light plants.
Excellent List Of Plants For Low Light Tanks - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

For feeding your plants add Root Tabs unless you only use Mosses or Ferns that aren't planted (only tied down).
I also use a general plant food like Flourish Comprehensive once a week after a PWC.

As far as fish, I like
Ember Tetras
Dwarf Rasboras
Celestial Pearl Danios
But I'd do One school of One species.
Then add a couple of Otos or a group of Dwarf Cories if you have room.

Or do a Cherry Shrimp tank !!!! I love mine. you can see my pics on my profile page. Cherry Shrimp are easy and will breed. Ignore the Crystal Red Shrimp for now, not nearly as easy.

Yes, you can add plants and decorations. Plants will actually aid in the cycle:) one of my 10 gallons has PFS (pool filter sand) so if you Want to add it, go ahead! With sand and plants your going to need root tabs or something similar. Im pretty sure lighting in the 6500k range helps bring out the fishes colors and will help the plants out a lot. Nano fish are awesome and will work in a 10 some examples are neon tetras, chili Rasboras, any dwarf Rasboras, celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, and harelquin Rasboras.

I have a Fluval C2 on my 10g. Just got the tank and the filter last week. I absolutely love the filter and I know your even larger C3 is going to work well at keeping your tank clean. I actually added some Biomax in place of the activated carbon to add double biological filtration.

Id get a school of tetras (embers, cardinals, or von rio flames). Some pygmy corries for ground dwellers. Some Otos for algae. And a centerpiece fish like a single male Ram or Dwarf Gourami.

Brian_Nano12g said:
I have a Fluval C2 on my 10g. Just got the tank and the filter last week. I absolutely love the filter and I know your even larger C3 is going to work well at keeping your tank clean. I actually added some Biomax in place of the activated carbon to add double biological filtration.

Id get a school of tetras (embers, cardinals, or von rio flames). Some pygmy corries for ground dwellers. Some Otos for algae. And a centerpiece fish like a single male Ram or Dwarf Gourami.

A 10g is too small for a Ram or Apisto. If you add a DG you'll have less room for a decent school. The School IS the centerpiece :)

Btw Corydoras habrosus actually acts like the larger Cories and is a true bottom dweller. C hastatus and pygmaeus are midwater swimmers.

Cardinals are larger and not well suited to a small tank IMHO. They are bigger than Neons and prefer warmer water than most other fish. The warmer the water, the less oxygen, so larger tanks at least 20g are better.

If you add Shrimp put a sponge over your intake. I use a black Fluval Edge prefilter Sponge. Already has a hole cut.

My 10g is one of my favorite tanks. I didn't change out the two incandescent bulbs that came with it because they offer 3 watts per gallon, and my amazon sword, anubias, and java fern are growing really well, sprouting out new growth constantly. Also, no algae! Neon tetra's work really well because they're not too active and they're gorgeous. I'm changing to black sand this weekend. Good luck! I'm following along:popcorn:

Thanks everyone for the great info! One question I have about the plants, do I need Co2 for the low light plants?

EDIT: Does anyone have links to the lights the recommend? I was looking at Lowe's but I am unsure on what to grab. Pet store bulbs are astronomical in price.

Coursair said:
A 10g is too small for a Ram or Apisto. If you add a DG you'll have less room for a decent school. The School IS the centerpiece :)

Btw Corydoras habrosus actually acts like the larger Cories and is a true bottom dweller. C hastatus and pygmaeus are midwater swimmers.

Cardinals are larger and not well suited to a small tank IMHO. They are bigger than Neons and prefer warmer water than most other fish. The warmer the water, the less oxygen, so larger tanks at least 20g are better.

So they say... However, I've done in with success in a 12g and read on a bunch of others who have been just fine in a 10g. My Ram and 5 cardinals (not to mention a couple otos) lived quite happily for over a year until I had to move, only then did I have to give them away. I once had a spawning pair of Rams. However after the female laid eggs things got to hairy and I decided to only keep a single Ram in a tank that small. That prove to work fine for almost another year until he died from HITH.

I also have a Dwarf Gourami doing well in my Fluval Edge. No issues there either.

Any suggestions on bulbs I can pick up for cheap at Lowes?

nolimit06 said:
Any suggestions on bulbs I can pick up for cheap at Lowes?

CFLs 6500K 10-15w
Too many watts may not work in your hood.

If its not screw in then a 6500K fluorescent that fits.

Other Kelvin ratings work. 6500K is the most used for plants.

Low light you may be fine without CO2. Mine are.

Sounds good, my hood is screw it and has two sockets. I will check the hood for wattage info.

Here is the tank setup with pool filter sand ($10 for 50lbs at pool store) money is tight right now so the lights and decorations are on hold until this weekend and my lfs said I can come get as much duckweed I wanted for free so I am going to pick that up tomorrow :)

ForumRunner_20120321_213815.jpg

Here is the tank this morning. Going to pickup lights tonight and some teracota pots and artificial plants :)

ForumRunner_20120322_131957.jpg

nolimit06 said:
Here is the tank this morning. Going to pickup lights tonight and some teracota pots and artificial plants :)

Artificial plants ????? Eeek !!!
Why ? You have that lovely sand that will grow all sorts of stuff.

At least you skipped the Clown Puke gravel.

Well I don't want anything high upkeep so I don't want to many plants ;)

nolimit06 said:
Well I don't want anything high upkeep so I don't want to many plants ;)

Well I spend about an hour a week on my 4 planted tanks. Crypts are slow growing and don't need trimming. My stems and my floaters need to be trimmed/thinned out weekly.

Once a week is too much ????

Back
Top Bottom