12 gal fluval edge plant help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miylee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 12 gal fluval edge is suppose to arrive in mail on the 1st of Feb this Wed & I need some planning help/advice~

I wanted to add 2 dwarf puffers (1m,1f) into the tank.. and I understand they are quite territorial so I'd wish the tank to be heavily planted&well cycled before I bring them in.

*When exactly am i suppose to plant my plants? as I cycle? after I cycle? (btw, I am planning on doing a fishless cycle but using some of my bf's gravel in pantyhose as well as some of his water & filter media cartridge)

This will be my first planted tank and I'm clueless to what kinds of plants would be recommended to create an ideal "aquascape" for the dp's where they have good spots to hide etc. Any recommendations? or plants I shouldn't get for them??:confused:

Also I heard that dwarf puffers sometimes bury themselves and I think in that case, sand would be best b/c its softer than gravel? but I also need it heavily planted...So which substrate would be best for the tank both fish and plants?
(I also heard they prefer black over white substrates?) :huh:

I want the best setup for them so any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D thanks everyone

Plants should be just fine in the tank while cycling.

Don't know about the puffers. Is this one of those sets that comes with a bag of Fluval Stratum substrate? It is very soft stuff and very light. I've used it before (still do actually but it will be in the garbage by next week) and it is very dirty stuff. It breaks down quickly and is very fragile. IMO, if it comes with it use something else like sand.

Plants should be just fine in the tank while cycling.

Don't know about the puffers. Is this one of those sets that comes with a bag of Fluval Stratum substrate? It is very soft stuff and very light. I've used it before (still do actually but it will be in the garbage by next week) and it is very dirty stuff. It breaks down quickly and is very fragile. IMO, if it comes with it use something else like sand.

very dirty does not sound fun :nono: & i couldn't find anything on Petco.com about their substrate being included so I think ill stick with the sand, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom