120 gallons fresh water tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kilimanyaro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,
I'm having trouble setting up my new 120 gallons tank. I was wondering if anyone can help me with some issues.
The tank is drilled on the side with one 1" over flow bulk head and a 3/4" return line.
The over flow is making a loud siphon noise so I put and airline tubing in it to vent it and works but the problem is that water flow drops and the the sump pump dries out in wet/dry filter. I installed a valve in air tubing to reduce the air venting and still can't find the right adjustment.
It either make a loud noise at the over flow or at the pump when it is dry.

Yes, there is and adjustment in the return pump. I tried closing it but now is not enough water going in to the tank. The pump is rated up to 1060 gph and I lose 500 gph on head pressure by pumping 5ft. High.
I closed it almost completely and is still doing it.
I'm thinking maybe the over flow needs to be bigger. I don't know.

kilimanyaro said:
Yes, there is and adjustment in the return pump. I tried closing it but now is not enough water going in to the tank. The pump is rated up to 1060 gph and I lose 500 gph on head pressure by pumping 5ft. High.
I closed it almost completely and is still doing it.
I'm thinking maybe the over flow needs to be bigger. I don't know.

You may be right. 1" for drain line sounds a little small. I helped my brother with his sump and we used 2" drains and 1 inch returns. Used ball valves to restrict the outflow on the pump back into the tank.

I'm gonna repipe it and hope for the best. Thanks for your help...

so I wanted to get back in to tell you what I did to solve the problem.
now I have 2 overflow drains 1 inch inside diameter each with an air tubing in one of them to vent it . I moved the return line and now instead of coming in trough the one of the bulkheads is coming from the top of the tank with a loop.
now I need to find a pump more quiet.
any recommendations ?

Back
Top Bottom