120 Long Tank! (Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 1400's should be fine running at the same time. If you have other power heads as well, you can put those ones on the wave maker, or just run them all without the wave maker would be better.

If you want a wave get a wp40 and run two of those 1400's to get the extra flow in the tank

I wouldnt run a wp40 AND 2 1400s. Thats almost 6000 gph and thats without a return flow. Not saying its bad but thats a bit overkill

My tank is only 5 foot, not 8 foot. It's also only a FOWLR tank, so flow is not huge but it's nice.

Update

Well, set back. My TV broke and well my wife needs a TV. She is pregnant and TV comes first. :-/

So my plans have been set back a few months. I am still going to be able to get the stand and hood done, but getting the tank up and running will be a little longer than I thought. I was hoping to have it up by next month.

On the PLUS side, my TV is still in warranty (Bought it from DELL with extended warranty 3 years ago) and because I that I can pay a few hundred extra to get a 60in TV. So Why not? LOL From a 40in to a 60in that has to be fun. LOL Crazy how prices dropped. My TV cost me almost the same as the one I am getting now. Just a $300 extra. So yea, that is why I am postponing my tank until January. New year tank!! :p

Update:

It's been a rough month. :-/ I really want to get this tank up, but all I got done is the tank hood. Of course its Christmas so money wise it has not been good. :p

I hope next year things will come together and I can get this thing moving again. I really want to get my fish out of my 55 and into my 120 long. :p

Slow and steady wins the race. :)

Thanks!

I know what I am getting for Christmas! I am bad!:D I saw my wife's charges made to Amazon and matched the price.

Amazon.com: Coralife 05692 Pure-Flo II 50-Gallon Per Day 4 Stage RO/DI System: Pet Supplies

Its what I asked for, because lugging water from the store to my tank was getting old. LOL. Now I just hope they are easy to install. I got a sink in the Basement that I can hook it up too. I like the Idea that I can use this for drinking water as well. Being our water comes from a well and we are around farm land that uses pesticides. So I am glad that this filter will give me the ablility to filter all that junk out and we can have clean water for not just the fish tank, but my bird and cats as well.

Also should I be getting reef crystals or just plan salt for my salt mixing now. I want the purple stuff in my tank to keep growing and I was wondering if Reef Crystals would be better than the plain salt mix.

If you arent planning on corals right away then regular I/O should be fine. The coralline just needs good water quality to keep growing so you'll be fine, it does take some time to really get growing but once it does it will be everywhere. lol

It is everywhere. :p Just wish it was not on the front and sides. LOL

Well, I got what I wanted for Christmas! Got my:

Amazon.com: Coralife 05692 Pure-Flo II 50-Gallon Per Day 4 Stage RO/DI System: Pet Supplies :p

Whats a good cheap water testing kit to make sure this thing is working right? I already hooked it up and ran 20 gallons out and discarded it as the instructions said. OH and I also got a box of Salt!!

Plus I also got a JOB! It's a part time Job, but now I can keep my tank on track not have to worry about giving up on my dream of getting this tank started and all my bigger fish into it so they can grow and thrive!

Congrats on the job :) To test RO water all you need is a inline TDS meter it will let you know when the filters need changing.

How does a inline TDS meter work?

Does it have to be inline? I can get a TDS meter for cheap and just check a cup of water from time to time. Does it need to be inline?

Any TDS meter will do as long as you keep up with your testing baron. It is important to keep the number LOW from your ro/di. An inline is handy, but if it is cheap and works I wouldn't think twice about it.

Any TDS meter will do as long as you keep up with your testing baron. It is important to keep the number LOW from your ro/di. An inline is handy, but if it is cheap and works I wouldn't think twice about it.

+1 I have an inline because i have enough "Fish stuff laying around" My wife words :)

+1 I have an inline because i have enough "Fish stuff laying around" My wife words :)

LOL. Being i just got it I am going to trust that its working for a few weeks. I don't have the money right now for even a Cheap one. LOL

Just starting my new Job and the first pay check always takes 2 to 3 weeks. Now I hope that once my Masters is finished I can hang up the Fast Food work for good. I thought that with my BS degree, but it turns out it is a BS degree as it got me nothing so far. LOL

Back
Top Bottom