120g Fish Selection Chart, I need some guidance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Attached is my table for figuring out my tank. I am currently 4 days into my fishless cycle. I am wanting to have at least two types of rainbows as my main fish. I want hardy fish b/c they need to survive moves every few years, however, my main concern are the rainbow fish (i may give away or take back to the lfs the other fish or just may try to move them all).

My concerns looking at the chart are the Thomasi Pleco and Reticulated Hillstream Loach. The Thomasi Pleco wants a lower KH than the rest of the fish and the Hillstream Loach wants lower temperatures (found one site that said they will tolerate up to 75F with good oxygen).

Can anyone please give some guidance? Has anyone had Thomasi Plecos and/or Reticulated Hillstream Loaches fish with Rainbows? IF so, what water parameters work for you and balancing the needs between them? Am I just going to have to bite the bullet and look for more compatible bottom dwellers? Any other advice is welcome too?
gCfnN5CK5prqgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Attachments

• fttable.JPG
    fttable.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 74
I can't speak for the pleco, but hillstream loaches need not just cooler water but also insane amounts of flow (Think 15x turnover per hour/ 1800gph flow in your tank). They have very high oxygen requirements, so I wouldn't keep them in a setup that wasn't tailored around those needs.

blue ram for loach

I am thinking about replacing the loach with two blue rams. It seems from looking around that they can do good with a rainbow fish setup.

Will they be ok with a 3-4 plec?
Do I need at least two rams or will one be ok?

thanks for any comments or suggestions.

I don't know much about plecos, but I agree with sini...hill streams need a very specific setup so it would probably be best not to go in that direction. There are plenty of other loaches that would appreciate being in a large group in a 120g and fit with your other stock...zebras, yoyos, sini could probably provide more suggestions. A large group of cory cats is another option.
Rainbows are pretty hard IME just make sure you have a proper sized group and hiding places in case any need a break from all the crazy activity.

Blue rams need exceptionally warm water, makes them a little hard to mix with other stuff. I wouldn't keep them below 80 degrees.

Meant to say hardy on the rainbows not hard...I don't see why a 4" pleco would be an issue

Blue rams need exceptionally warm water, makes them a little hard to mix with other stuff. I wouldn't keep them below 80 degrees.

I keep mine at 79° and that's pushing it. How about Bolivians instead?

Back
Top Bottom