120g - What Equipment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off: you guys are really helpful. :)

So I've ordered a bunch of books to take out from libraries around school so I can find out about different kinds of plants, but I'm kind of at a loss for which brands/models of the actual equipment I should buy. I'm looking to have at least 2.5 watts per gallon as far as lights go so I can support many different kinds of plants. The tank has no access to actual sunlight. I'm also pretty sure it's a "standard" 120g, in which case the dimensions are going to be 48"x24"x24".

I was planning on using Eco-Complete as the substrate (just go with what the bag says?), perhaps covered with a thin layer of gravel? ..only because it seems to be the one everyone likes. So, here's the information I need:

120g
48"x24"x24"

- What wattage (I need 300w at the minimum for a 120g, right?), type, and brand of lights would you recommend?

- What CO2 system would you recommend?

- Any special filtration needs on a planted tank?

- If there's a different substrate you would recommend, what is it?

- What testing equipment do I need? What brand would you recommend?

- What additive brands would you recommend, or are there particular compounds I should go for instead of just having the buffet of whatever is available at the LFSes?

- Anything else I'm missing that is specially needed for a planted tank?

I'd like the system to be cost-effective, but the budget I have lined up does give a considerable allowance for what is needed. Translation: I just don't want to be *wasting* money. =)

Thanks for any help. I can't wait for those books to come in so I can start designing the actual aquascape.

- What wattage (I need 300w at the minimum for a 120g, right?), type, and brand of lights would you recommend? Sounds good. i'm throwing the 4x96watt PC from AH Supply on my 90Gal. www.ahsupply.com seems to one of the favorites on this site

- What CO2 system would you recommend? the DIY are not too bad....otherwise you can invest serious coin for the pressurized CO2 setups.

- Any special filtration needs on a planted tank? nothing special....the Eheim line is good...maybe something like the 2217 cannister

- If there's a different substrate you would recommend, what is it? I am going to go with the eco-complete as well...not messy and won't cloud the tank if you move plants or do a clean.

- What testing equipment do I need? What brand would you recommend? aquarium pharmaceuticals seems to be well spoken of for water testing kits.

Good luck with the tank. Just wondering, what kind of fish are you looking at?

I was either thinking about a South American biotope (boring, but fun! :p) with angelfish as the centerpiece (and of course some of the weirder plecos), or perhaps a "schooling" tank with some Puntius denisonii as the main attraction along with other unusual barbs and tetras.

Frankly I'm still not sure. I also like big fish, but seeing as how only one foot long fish of some sort would be comfy in there (likely wrecking all the plants in the process :), I'd rather stick with smaller fish in hopes that I can have more variety in the same tank.

Other fish biotopes (Indochina, African, etc.) interest me, but I'm probably too lazy to make all the plants conform as well. I'm really into some of the weirder fish, but I also definitely have places in my heart for clown loaches, Bolivian rams, and kribensis.

Basically I'm still researching that part too, I guess. It almost seems like an afterthought with all the work you have to do to have healthy plants.

EDIT: Also, I thought DIY was not recommended on larger tanks because you really need the pressurized system?

I'm also not really skilled in anything mechanical and I don't know if I have the drills/etc. that you need to make one.

Another question, while I'm at it..

Can I use Fluorish Excel doses instead of a CO2 system? Does the stuff actually work?

I don't really know where to buy everything I need for a DIY and I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to put it together anyway (even with instructions right in front of me-- I don't think I've ever built anything that required a drill), so it's either Fluorish Excel or I buy a pressurized system, I guess. :)

Without a doubt pressurized CO2 for that big of tank. Check out the Milwaukee all in one at Aquatic-store.com. Best deal going I've seen. And consider getting the Milwaukee Ph controler too for not too much more. Maybe get a filled CO2 Tank at a welder supply for 90 bucks, maybe 15 lb or so. Ten seems small for that big of tank.

AH Supply for lights all the way!!. Eco complete sounds good, tho I've no experience. Basic test kit: Aquarium Pharm. (or whoever) from Big Als online plus a nitrate and phosphate kit. IMO, not the Hagen PO4 kit. Seachem for PO4 IMO. Maybe a couple XP3s by Rena. They are great filters for a nice price. Also, I really like the Hanna Phep 4 (or Phep 5) digital pH tester I got from a place in Louisiana for best price on line. If interested PM me and I'll find the source's name again. Saves alot of time to check pH if you are using pressurized, and IMO you want pressurized for that size tank. You could DIY for the CO2 reactor. And there are some recent posts on great designs online that the good Mr. Burns shared with us here. Oh yeah, check out the PMDD store for great source for dry ferts or plant geek. Rex's FAQ has the link to PMDD store. It'll save you a bunch on ferts once you figure it out... HTH Bob :)

Thanks for the info-
At aquatic-store.com should I be looking at Combo 4? (Under the CO2 Equipment ->COMBO Set-ups Discounted section). And all I need to add is a tank?

Sounds good to mechanical-skillsless me. :)

Yeah, Combo four is a great deal! And its all you'll need. I'm not sure how big of a CO2 tank to get, somebody who runs that big of aqua tank could suggest for sure. I've just got a 10lb CO2 tank for my little setup. Run the reactor from the filter's outflow.

Sorry to revive an old post, but I was looking at AHsupply and it seems that all the lights they sell have to go into enclosures that you have to build. I don't have the supplies/skills necessary to build something like that-- I was just looking for lights that uhm...you know...you put them on top of the tank and then you turn them on. :oops:

Anybody have a good link for a company that sells those?

www.hellolights.com has the coralife hoods for decent prices.

Also, are you sure on the tank dimensions? I'm pretty certain a standard 120g is actually 72"x24"x24"...or darn close...that was the size of my friends 120gallon. A 75gallon standard is 48"x18"x20"....

When confirming the dimensions with the person who runs the tank now, they said that 48" x 24" x 24" is correct. It certainly doesn't look 72" to me, and when I ran the dimensions through a volume calculator it came out at 119g/120g (checked two different ones). The 72"x24"x24" dimensions you gave are for a 180g tank.

After hunting through different lights, I may get rid of the planted idea altogether. It seems very obtuse to me, nevermind that the budget I had planned out doesn't seem to be cutting it. I think the money might be better spent on some fake plants (I don't think anything live is going to survive in that deep a tank under the current bulbs) and rocks and things for a lifeless aquascape.

Good thing I have AA.com plant people to advise me on these things, though. :mrgreen:

Java Fern grows in very little light. You can still do a low light tank of some real plants! You just won't have quite the variation.

Also, you could use a cool looking high quality red fake plant in the back with the height you want and then put a couple of java fern in front of it- should blend in nicely :) NOt to mention that since you will obviously have a pleco(based on your name, hehe) A nice driftwood arrangement will compliment the whole set up. A few strategically placed boulders (it is a 120 right, lol) and your set dude. Just a couple of random thoughts to ponder.

Hm, plecos are fun, but I was thinking about an African biotope (at least as far as the fish go) and they wouldn't fit. Probably would have to stick with some of the Synodontis sp., though it's not as if they aren't admirable catfish in and of themselves. ;)

There is what looks like some java moss presently in the tank, but it's totally dead. I don't think anything would survive in there what with the complete lack of natural sunlight. I do know that there are some decent quality fake plants I can use though. :)

Isn't java moss supposed to be a low-light plant too, though?

Yes it is, but i've had java fern is seems to be a really hardy plant for me. It's not just their lowlight requirement. But anyway it really doesn't matter if you wanna go for the african biotope. Let me know what direction you ultimately go. I'm buying a 120 very soon. I'm gonna do a planted tank. I'm also pondering a 55 gal cichlid tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom