125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S3Reefer said:
Wow... All I can say.... Is.... Wow.. Lol

Is that a good wow or bad wow??
Alright well as you all know, the tank is up and running. Ran into some fundig issues. So other than normal necessities, cant buy anything for the tank right now. Having the brown algae issue still but ive dialed back the lights and feeding to help. As long as it doesnt overwhelm the tank i dont mind. Either a tiger wardi or diamond goby is in the plans. Just dont have the immediate funds. Also gonna talk to my boss tomorrow about working out a deal for one of his extra uv pond sterilizers. Once i get my situations straightened out, gonna get the uv up and running, then once i rid myself of the algae issue, im going to start dosing with purple up. The main focus of this tank is technically the fish, but id really prefer the rock to have have copious amounts of coralline to make up for the lack of coral. Next piece on the purchase list: mag 18 that a buddy is holding for me

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I don't understand how the herbie works with 2 overflows. My understanding is u need 1 overflow because with 2 boxed the water is going to fill up to the tube unless you throttle back that tube. Any help on this subject?

crister13 said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread but I don't understand how the herbie works with 2 overflows. My understanding is u need 1 overflow because with 2 boxed the water is going to fill up to the tube unless you throttle back that tube. Any help on this subject?

Its no different than running 2 seperate herbie overflows. Only difference is youd have to run an oversized pipe where the two drains empty out at

Sorry I wasn't being specific enough. I understand it now. My scenario is different. I have two drains but the return occupies one of the holes in each overflow. So you would need to run a third pipe for return. I understand. Thank you.

Wait, i understad you have dual overflows, but each overflow should have a return hole (smaller) and drain hole (bigger) you just run full syphon on the drain tube

If u have an herbie style in each box u need two tubes. Then u need another for return. So with dual overflows your looking at 5 tubes. Overflows (2 main 2 emergency) and 1 return. Right?

I'm going to make herbie overflow. Right now yes I have 1 return and 1 drain in each overflow. But I'm going to convert it so I have 2 herbie overflows and then run the return up the back of the tank. This would work???

Herbie= 1 return and a full syphon drain, ball valve on drain to control syphon. No need for 2 drains to each return

huma-huma said:
Update time!! Other than an algae issue, tank is doing lovely. (dont have an RO unit yet) the triggers have finally calmed down and accepted eachother. Although a pecking order has been established. Anytime the triggers are hanging out together, if the picasso doesnt want the niger around, he simply towards face to face with him and the niger instantly turns away and swims 4-6 inches away.

LOL!!! That's funny!!!! Love it!

So i spent roughly 45 minutes working on my plumbing and got absolutely nowhere. So the misses made the mistake of saying "why dont we just get the pieces we need?" so a trip to home depot(actually 2 cause i left my bulkhead there), $6.50, and a bunch of pvc and fittings later. I now have the materials for a hardline return. Pics shortly of my layout

Oh and does anyone think running 2400 gph through my refugium would be too much?? Keep in mind im using a 55 as the refugium. I have prob 30-32" just for the center chamber alone. If in need to, ill run a t-split coming off the return pump and attach a ball valve letting it drain back into the refugium, thatll let me adjust the flowrate to the main tank if needed

crister13 said:
Well u usually want 5-10x overturn through the sump.... So I would say yeah too much.

So if i t-split the return line and plumb one line back into the skimmer chamber, would that help

It's still the same amount moving through the sump.... Idk. I don't really think it would be horrible but if it were me I would just put a ball valve on and throttle the pump back a bit. Jmo

Back
Top Bottom