125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my Marineland Stealth heater recall replacement came today! after a nice,calm talk with a lovely rep last week, they sent me 2-200w Visa-therm replacements. after some adjusting, i now am running both of those on the 125. ive moved the 200w fluval heater over to the 75. ill finally be able to bring the 125 up to the temp that i want. with the single fluval, the 125 was holding steady at 76-78, but now that i have sufficent wattage, it should run at 81.

282892_10200220067170556_1094693049_n.jpg

the heater on the far side is obvious but you have to look a bit for the closer one. i put the duct tpe on the side of the tank to try and help drown out the light when the doors are closed.

out with the old and in with the new. got the flex drain lining replaced with hardline tonight. its gonna take some finalizing and sealing tomorrow but its in and running. and before anyone asks, i put the arrows on not to remind me but because we did that at work and for some odd reason i like the look.
398109_10200233022814439_1228647878_n.jpg

dont mind the towel behind everything, have it there as protection for the outlets. im going to build a plastic cover for it to protect against the salt.
398050_10200233025774513_405386405_n.jpg

hangers supporting the piping are also temp until i get something better worked out.

alright. well its def been awhile since last updating. honestly though, the tank has gone downhill a few levels. due to a combination of 1)lack of funds and 2) lack of Ro/di water, the tank has suffered a moderate algae outbreak. so far ive used reduced light schedules to hold it at bay until i get my next round of equipment in. ever since i purchaed this setup, ive been slowly upgrading it piece by piece. the setup started out with the following equipment.
2 maxi-jet powerheads (250-300gph)
Current USA skimmer (75g model)
2 Stealth heaters (100 & 200w)
sump was DIY consisting of 2-20g rubbermaid containers with a 2" pvc pipe connecting them nd a Danner Mag-drive 5 return pump. hard drain lines and flew return lines.
ive spent the past 2 years or so building it up to this so far.
2 Koralia Evolution 750's
Vertex IN-250 skimmer
2 Visa-therm 200w heaters
55g DIY refugium
all drain/return lines hard lined in.
Herbie/Hofer hybrid overflows

if all goes well, in the next week or so, ill be adding a BRS 4-stage value RODI system, DIY Led lighting, Mag-drive 9.5 to that list. once the RODI unit makes it here and i get it plumbed in, im going to start the lovely process of switching over to rodi water, which should in turn, take care of my algae problem. ive also decided to pull the trigger on a few more fish, but thatll have to remain a secret for the time being. sad news though, wedid lose our picasso trigger to unknown causes. everyone else is still kicking and doing great. Hopefully this all goes as planned, ive never ran rodi water on my tanks before so its gonna be interesting to see if it solves my algae issue.

I like what you've done here and can appreciate your on-going committment to update the build thread. Very nice!

Do you happen to have a recent full tank shot of the 125 to share?

I do not mr. Crabs. I will work on getting one uploaded. May be a bit hard to do considering the HDD on our laptop went...again. but thank you for the compliments. Its very easy to lose sight of yourpurpose and goals in this hobby. Just glad that i still appreciate it as much as i did on day 1. Did test the water today!! Came back as follows
trates-10-20
Trites-0
Ph-8.2
Ammo-0
Sg- forgot to test it.
So despite my shortcomings, the tank seems to be stabile and hanging in there. Basement prepping for ro unit and bin to commence on sunday.

Kewl! Ill be following this thread. Did you showcase your lighting on this thread??
If as o any idea what page it is on?

I may have mentioned it at some point but I don't believe I've actually discussed it. Reason being that it's a pretty basic fixture. It's a 72" coralife fixture with 4-92w pc bulbs and 6 blue moonlights. Gonna possibly be upgrading to DIY led lighting but I new to test it first on a smaller tank

Cool. Thanks for respinding.. I'm looking into 2 aquaillumination fixtures for my 120 setup. Let me know about your DIY Led experiment! Might be the better cheaper way to do things.
I'm going to keep folliwing this thread. Some cool stuff. :)

I personally havent dealt with or heard of aquaillumination but id check out rapidled if i were you. They can even help walk you through the build process. I personally am going to run some generic led strip lighting due to the fact that i have a fowlr tank and have no plans to go coral. Although i am going to give marinelands hidden led strips a chance first

First pic is the fts. As you can see, algae has kinda taken over and i still need to clean the glass (kinda hard when i hve a 4" lion that likes to sneak up on me)
Second pic is of the little lion man himself

Attachments

• image-2444387163.jpg
    image-2444387163.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 129
  • image-4216542512.jpg
    image-4216542512.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 122
BRS 4-stage Rodi unit is ordered. Also picked up 10 lbs of figi and 2 filter socks. Gonna start looking into a DIY auto top off for the ro unit. Will post pics when they arrive

new news!!! went out today to shop for a new laptop. ended up coming home with a new laptop, a kindle fire case, a full belly (olive garden) ANDDDD a misbar maroon clown. its mid strip is complete on the left side, but only goes halfway down on the right. and its tail bar is broken on one side and has a secondary white dot on the left side tail. an absolutely gorgeous clown. I had been holding out for a black and white clown but couldn't pass up this beauty. I was too excited and forgot to get decent pics before releasing into my tank. after a few days of settling ill corale the lil bugger for some closeups

Woke up this morning to one beat up lil maroon clown:( it seems that my other clown decided to beat the crap out of te new guy. I put the new guy down in the refug this morning. I'm now off work so I'm gonna get home and sort them out. Looks like the other clown is gonna spend a few days in the refug an ill let the new clown make some friends

ugh...sometimes I wonder if the tank and hobby is really worth the headaches and money spent. after attempting to install a ball valve between the skimmer pump and body (to regulate the input flow)last night, it is leaking where the pvc pipe runs into the skimmer body. so now I have the lovely task of attempting to sand down a new section of pvc to fit into the skimmer body better. also picked up a new Ryobi Ion+ cordless drill. oh almost forgot the most important aspect. picked up another 50 lbs of sand. im now off to rinse it and get it in the tank. only tricky part is I have to remove half of my live rock from the tank and rehome the lion until I get the sand in... not risking getting stung. going to pile up the rock on one side of the tank in anticipation of tomorrows delivery!!!will upload a fts of how the tank stands now.

Back
Top Bottom