125 FOWLR take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These three are of tge old layout. Pretty random placement with a few shelves for depth.

Attachments

• image-2498251257.jpg
    image-2498251257.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-882579600.jpg
    image-882579600.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2139388531.jpg
    image-2139388531.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 77
New layout. Not 100% satisfied but happy for now. Alot more shelves and high points. Also worked in some shaded areas. Last pic is from about 3 hours ago

Attachments

• image-1306747050.jpg
    image-1306747050.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-2176935171.jpg
    image-2176935171.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3290546802.jpg
    image-3290546802.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-1615454852.jpg
    image-1615454852.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image-561434781.jpg
    image-561434781.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 86
Cichlidjon said:
Nice I like how it's open and not a "wall"

Im not a huge fan of the "wall" look either. Its really basic and doesnt offer multiple angles of unique views. This layout i have bow will work great for the corals and offer a wide variety of lighting/flow situations. We are ordering more rock though

Cichlidjon said:
What kind of rock are you using

I used to know off hand, but i dont now. Ill check when i get home. I know theres 10-15 lbs of BRS reef saver in there.

I believe its a mixture of pukani, and fiji. With brs reef saver mixed in. Really want to upgrade to a better rock but thats down the road

was thinking about the rock situation and im going to say no to replacing my LR. I wanted to possibly replace what I have with something of better quality, but it would take me 6 months to actually seed the rock enough to remove the old stuff and honestly I don't like moving stuff around too much because its hard on the fish (especially the tang). im going to add another 50 lbs or so to this and itll be done as far as that's concerned.

equipment wise, you all know that ive been slowly replacing parts of this tank as I go, in an attempt to upgrade it as much as I see needed (and money will support). heres a list of what I have now, and what im looking to upgrade within the next year.

powerheads-2 koralia evo 750's (Jabeo wp-40 will replace them, may run 1 750)
lights- 72" coralife PC and led moonlights( 3x dimmable 120w Taos on order)
skimmer- vertex IN-250 (may replace but im not sure)
heaters- 2x Marineland Visa-therm 250w (sticking around for foreseeable future)
refugium light- 24" coralife dual t5 (may replace with 120w tao unit in january)
return pump- danner mag 18 (sticking around)
that's it so far!! im coming to the end of the road in terms of equipment for this tank, once the lights, powerhead, and rock are in, im moving on to support and backup equipment. I REALLLY want to get a decent sized (55 or bigger) frag tank going after a few months, assuming our attempt at coral goes well. also aiming to pick up a small generator at some point over the next 6 months. I plan on keeping it in the basement for emergencies. I apologize if this seems random or im rambling on, its 6 am here and im trying to put my thoughts into one spot.

as far as budget and timeline go, the rock, wp40, and Taos are coming early sept. controller (and possibly refugium light) will be in January. now I just have to wait till sept to actually be able to do this

I was thinking about the possibility of a GFO reactor but ive heard that an increase in flow will usually help with phosphate issues. (indirectly) so being that i just redid the rock scaping and opened it up alot more. And the added jabeo wp40, perhaps my phosphates will settle in at a lower number after a month or so of decent water changes

Well im a bit worried. Our snowflake clown is camping out in the back right corner on the sand. When i come up to the tank she swims out and seems normal. Her coloration is normal and shes eating as usual. Any ideas whats up?

Attachments

• image-3548869537.jpg
    image-3548869537.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 118
1. led fixtures-$250 + shipping
2. 2 boxes of 200g IO reef crystals $114 +fs
http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-Crystal-Marine-200-Gallon/dp/B0002DJU0G/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376730069&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Instant+Ocea+reef+crystals
3. API reef master test kit-$22+ fs
http://www.amazon.com/API-Reef-Master-Test-Kit/dp/B001D6Z7QW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376730111&sr=8-1&keywords=api+reefmaster+test+kit

4. 50 lbs key largo dry rock- $109 +fs
http://www.marcorocks.com/50poundboxkeylargorockfreeshippinginthecontinentalus.aspx
5. new bulkheads- roughly $50
6. new plumbing for drains/returns- $20
7. new fish and corals- ??
8. Jabeo WP-40- $75 shipped
-----------------------------------
I believe that's where I am at right now in terms of purchases for the tank. ive been throwing around some ideas in my head over the past few days of what else needs done/changed and im starting to settle in and actually make decisions. not going to replace my LR with better rock. Also going to hold off on the GFO reactor till I get a few months under my belt with the more powerful (and controllable) WP40, to see if the phosphates and trates begin to slowly creep downwards. so that's 2 more things I'm holding off on. the one area I can't seem to stop thinking about is the skimmer. when I initially found this skimmer for sale, it absolutely blew my mind at the sheer size of it. (if you go back far enough I have the dimensions listed) and I thought that it would be more than adequate at handling this tank, but I cant seem to get it dialed in at all, and coupled with the fact that the pump now has a short. I really want to upgrade it too. so as of right now I understand that cone skimmers are prob the most commonly used new tech out. that being said, a lot of skimmers now are coming with venture bubble size control knobs (which I like) and also run 2 pumps. these are the 2 skimmers I'm looking at as of now.
reef octopus nwb200 pinwheel cone skimmer-$289.99- seems like its decently built and would handle the job. also a bit easier on the wallet. heard great things about R.O.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-nwb200-8-pinwheel-in-sump-protein-skimmer.html
and this...
Bubble Magus BM-NAC77-$289.99- cone skimmer that's well built, houses pump under cone, therefore reducing footprint, only stands 19" tall. 500L/hr
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bubble-magus-bm-nac7-cone-protein-skimmer.html

if you have ANY dealings or experience with these skimmers, by all means let me know.

Well im a bit worried. Our snowflake clown is camping out in the back right corner on the sand. When i come up to the tank she swims out and seems normal. Her coloration is normal and shes eating as usual. Any ideas whats up?

Seems like normal behavior to me. I hear it more around hosting and breeding behavior... So possibly just making a home there?

shes never done this before though. which is the worrying part.just lays on the sand in the corner. its ironic its now happening because I just moved the rocks around. It would be amazing if its breeding behavior though although the maroon doesn't really spend time with the other. idk nothing I can really do. just continuing as normal and hoping for the best

My clown lays in the sand in the corner of the tank all the time, he also sleeps there or tucked in a crevice of a rock. I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks for the input guys!! Gonna continue to hold steady and see what happens.

As for the skimmer, its down to just Bubble Magus, either the Curve 7 or NAC-77. Ones single pump (curve 7) and ones dual-pump (nac77). Theres a $40 difference between them. Both are ANS-compatible. Every single report ive come across regarding the curve 7 is positive. (as for the nac77) . The curve is slightly smaller and closer matched to my sized tank, however the nac77 would be one-step up

the ANS that bubble magus has for their skimmers adds an additional 4.5 inches to the top of the skimmer.
the NAC-77 is 22.6"-which is 27.1 after ANS
the Curve 7 is 20.8" - 25.6 after ANS

I CAN fit up to 32" tall...but id be more comfortable under 28"... so both would work.

btw ANS is Automatic Neck Scrubber in case anyone was wondering

the ANS that bubble magus has for their skimmers adds an additional 4.5 inches to the top of the skimmer.
the NAC-77 is 22.6"-which is 27.1 after ANS
the Curve 7 is 20.8" - 25.6 after ANS

I CAN fit up to 32" tall...but id be more comfortable under 28"... so both would work.

btw ANS is Automatic Neck Scrubber in case anyone was wondering

ANS... Nice. Also I pm'd you about the lights.

Back
Top Bottom