125 gallon new tank cycle help?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ufc94champ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, new here, and to fish forums in general. I have a 125 gallon freshwater tank with the following fish :
2 clown loaches
2 african leaf
1 fire eel
1 lima shovelnose
1 clown knife
1 brown knife
1 eclipse cat
1 marble goby
1 yellow tail barracuda
2 dozen feeder rosy reds

All these fish were in a cycled 75 gallon and were transferred with 1 205, 206, and 405 fluval canister filters that were all cycled. Also added the plants and rock from the 75 to the 125. But my readings are not doing good. My PH is 7.8 Ammonia at 1ppm nitrite at 1.0 ppm and nitrate at 10.0 ppm. So will my fish be ok? I also added a marineland HOB filter rated at 75 gallons for extra filtration and added Instant Cycle by API. I thought with the 3 seeded canisters, plants and decor, and instant cycle id be set. But I guess not? Any suggestions on what to do at this point? I havent started water changes but I think I should?

Do a 50%wc and then another 50%wc in a few days to get ur ammonia down... It should be .25 and under and the nitrate should be 0

I would add prime now to help until you can do wc . Prime will help with ammonia

I just did a 20% water change... hope that will help. Its very hard to do a large change I need to get an attatchment for my sink all I have rite now is a 2.5 gallon bucket lol

My largest tank is a 220g and trust me you need to get a water changer. I have an Aqueon one that I've used for a few years since I believe in doing 50% WC's weekly, even on my 220g.

Honestly you need to get those levels down with larger WC's but do use the Prime every 24 hours to keep both ammonia and nitrite detoxed for the fish.

Also remember that your already showing nitrates so your tank is a lot more cycled than you might be thinking. Plus with that much seeded media it shouldn't take long at all for the BB to finish catching up.

Ok I did 2 20% wc for a total of a 40% change. I don't have anymore aquasafe for a larger change. I don't have any prime but ill get some tomorrow. Should I use that for now on with wc over aquasafe? New results are 0.50 ammonia. 0.50 nitrite and nitrAtes at 5-10. So better forsure. Just hope all the fish make it overnight

As long as your ammonia and or nitrites are over .25pm I'd use the proper amount of Prime (which isn't very much as it's very strong) every 24 hours and also use it for WC's. I'd finish using the Aquasafe up and then just go to using Prime.

Back
Top Bottom