125 Gallon Stocking Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgines4420

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All!

I currently have a 20g tall tank with 2 (7 inch) rope fish and 1 (6 inch) common pleco. I have already purchased a 125g tank for them because I knew they were going to become quite large. I plan on using sand for substrate. I will also plant according to what fish I stock it with and their needs. Now I am faced with the dilemma of way too much open space. I am looking for some recommendations on stocking this bad larry. I do very much like the bigger fish 1) because I feel like they have more "character" and 2) because I think the rope fish killed my 7 tiger barbs.......in two nights. I believe so because there where holes in them. (Mind the fact that yes my rope fish are well fed I see them eat daily). It sadly could be my fault of overstocking so that is why I am looking for some peer advice. Thank you all in advance!

I never really liked the term "stocking" for our purpose. To me, it implies "filling it up." There's little or no downside to having plenty of space and water for less fish than the tank can support at full capacity. OTOH, there are plenty of problems going to crop up quickly if you have too many fish in a given space.

I never really liked the term "stocking" for our purpose. To me, it implies "filling it up." There's little or no downside to having plenty of space and water for less fish than the tank can support at full capacity. OTOH, there are plenty of problems going to crop up quickly if you have too many fish in a given space.

Okay,
For the sanctity of my post, let me rephrase.

What fish do you believe would nicely complement each other in a not over filled tank? I am aware of "overstocking" issues hence being here asking for some ideas. Any suggestions? I apologize if my wording offends anyone. Thank you in advance.

Oh, sorry - no offense taken. I really didn't mean it that way! :)

I'm not too familiar with the ropefish, but understand they get to be on the largish side. Along with the Pleco, I believe you really do have a quandary of "potential" overstocking, even with a 125g.

Rope fish have the potential to get 15+ inches in captivity and I do not even need to mention the pleco proportions because we are all aware of that lol. I will definitely look into another aquarium upgrade in the future but as of right now they will stay in that.

In any case I think you'll need big(er) fish to coexist with the ropes.

If you have other fish in the tank, you may need to spot feed the Ropes as they can be out competed for food.

Adult Boesmani Rainbows might work

Or a couple of Angelfish
Pearl Gourami
Densoni or Odessa Barbs maybe ?

Keyhole Cichlids are large but shouldn't pick on other fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom