130 gallon dirted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wepwawet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Lighting: 72" aquatic life 8 bulb fixture
Filter: FX5 canister
CO2 this weekend will be installed with a reactor.
Heat 2x 200 watt

Thinking of doing a "journal" if there's enough interest in them as there are 100s online for this type of tank now.

So she's up finally :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130127_220858.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130127_220858.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 187
  • ForumRunner_20130127_220925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130127_220925.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 216
ForumRunner_20130128_195029.jpg

All cleared up :) Now if only my wall color didn't look like poo thru the tank..... Will be fixed this weekend.

I haven't tested yet will be doing the first round of that tomorrow.

I'm very pleased with having clear water so soon. I read where others have had to do multiple water changes to get here.

Wow you are right about the wall color lol...not the best :lol: Are you going to paint the back of the tank or use a background? It is looking awesome from what I can see LOL. My 60g was sooo dark at first but it took 2 days with a running filter to get it clear. Whats your stocking list once it cycles?

Thinking black foam board for background. Was going to paint but thought 2 1/2" was to small to try to get paint off if i wanted to change color down the road lol.

Stock as it stands now in my head

25-30 Harlequin Rasbora
25-30 Rummy-nose tetra
25-30 undecided
2 L052 Butterfly Plecos
RCS
MTS
1 very bright discus to pull it all together

1.5-2" dirt with 1.75-2" black blasting sand as a cap (3 50lbs bags) and may add another bag but not sure yet. When it all levels out I will decide. I will post the whole setting up of the tank probably Saturday when I have time to write the novel thats required to explain why/how I did it :)

Just a piece of advice from a fellow dirt user. Make sure that you do many large water changes on your new tank otherwise the excess nutrients from the dirt will be heaven for algae.

First round of test

Ph 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 5

Amazing beautiful results so far. I'm shocked they are so good

Testing this morning and evening shows

8.2 0 0 5-10ppm

Most excellent! I put a Mts in and hoping it lays some eggs. And 2 L052 Butterfly plecos in I normally wouldn't but as seeing the readings the plants are from a friends tank and algae waffers they have food. Thinking a veg tomorrow. I will be watching the water column test like a hawk. If I see a shift its just back to the smaller tank.

I know this carries a risk but I'm not the only one in a dirted tank to cycle in days and they put Angeles fully stocked as soon as the test cleared.

Wish me luck :)

ForumRunner_20130130_193032.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130130_193048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130130_193048.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 143
Testing this morning and evening shows

8.2 0 0 5-10ppm

Most excellent! I put a Mts in and hoping it lays some eggs. And 2 L052 Butterfly plecos in I normally wouldn't but as seeing the readings the plants are from a friends tank and algae waffers they have food. Thinking a veg tomorrow. I will be watching the water column test like a hawk. If I see a shift its just back to the smaller tank.

I know this carries a risk but I'm not the only one in a dirted tank to cycle in days and they put Angeles fully stocked as soon as the test cleared.

Wish me luck :)

Mts are live bearers so they may be disappointing in the egg laying department ;) is that your regular light?

Even better about MTS :) I want lots.

Yes my aquatic life fixture came with moon lights it's a nice touch imo.

My plecos must think I've lost it checking in on them a lot lol

Even better about MTS :) I want lots.

Yes my aquatic life fixture came with moon lights it's a nice touch imo.

My plecos must think I've lost it checking in on them a lot lol

That is cool. I thought it was alwayz like that lol

Some do run the blue 24/7 I have mine to come on 2 minutes before the day lights go out. If I find there is a reason to run them being how they are led I would

Some do run the blue 24/7 I have mine to come on 2 minutes before the day lights go out. If I find there is a reason to run them being how they are led I would
ok I gotchya. Well it looks good!

Back
Top Bottom