Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I decided to remove many of the Crypts, but I still have Crypt nurii “Rosen Maiden”, a couple Crypt lucens, a small patch of Crypt parva, and Crypt pontederiifolia. I’m adding more Anubias (nana “gold”, barteri “coffeefolia”, and nana “Pinto”) and Java Fern (Philippine, Thunder Leaf, and Windelov) to ease up maintenance, and for a better overall look. Besides the Pygmy Chain Swords, I’m going to try Marsilea quadrifolia. I may also be getting some fish in a week or so. Stay tuned!

I bought a bunch of the above plants last week. They were awesome. If you are considering then get busy. Fish will take care of you!!

I bought a bunch of the above plants last week. They were awesome. If you are considering then get busy. Fish will take care of you!!

Thanks for the kind words!

Any fish you are thinking of? Got an offer here to get more Anubias which I might do.

I know I’m going to up the Cherry Barb numbers, and I’d like to add some Corydoras and Amano Shrimp. I still have a few Harlequin Rasboras as well, but I’m not sure if I’ll up their numbers or opt for another fish. I usually go with hardy species, as I’ve had trouble with more demanding fish (Apistos, Rams, Rainbowfish, etc.). I’ll probably make two different trips this summer for fish.

I sort of went wild with the Anubias, but I seem to have provided great conditions for it in this setup and it is one of my favorite plants in terms of maintenance. Low light + a few ferts + pressurized CO2 = steady growth and minimal algae on leaves. I found the Anubias nana “Pinto” for a reasonable price and snatched up a few. If only Anubias nana “Snow White” wasn’t $100+, I’d give that a try. I almost got more Buce, but I didn’t want to watch a plant excessively melt back over the next couple months.

Yeah, I struggle with buce.

I like cherry barbs - my sister had them and I thought quite nice.

I took them off the manzanita and tied them to some lava rock. I got 10 lbs of it recently so I had plenty of rocks to choose from. Due to how porous lava rock is, Buce attaches better to it. Most of the Buces had not attached to the manzanita, but they should be better off now. With the lava rock, the tank has a more interesting look to it. Once I get all the plants in, I’ll post some pics.

Been tempted to get some here but have been thinking I could get some iron goethite rock from a mine visit and try that as it looks pretty porous as well.

I originally planned to make this a carefully manicured low light aquascape, but instead I’m trying to make this into a jungle aquarium. The tank has the same basic concept of Java Fern (Narrow Leaf, Windelov, and regular) as the centerpiece, but I’ll introduce plants such as True Dwarf Sag, Red Tiger Lotus, Crinum calamistratum, Echinodorus “Hadi Red Pearl”, a few Crypts here and there, some floating plants, and a couple different Val species. I already have some of these plants, but I’m working to sell off the last couple plants that need to go and acquire a few more plants.

In terms of livestock, I did get some Dwarf Corydoras and a few Amano Shrimp. I got 8 of the Cories, and only two have died, so I’d like to get more. The Amano Shrimp are doing well, which is nice since I typically don’t do well with inverts. The Harlequin Rasbora group has dwindled down to a few fish, and instead of increasing their numbers, I’d like to add a group of tetras. Lemon Tetras, Pristella Tetras, and Emperor Tetras are all options.

The tank still has a few more plant additions to go, but I’m happy with how it’s coming along.

uJmsn07.jpg

Looking good [emoji106]

Thanks, Dela!

I have Buce sp. Brownie Blue growing in there now, and I’ll get another small Buce clump in the upcoming month. I wasn’t a big fan of the really dark Buces. Of course I’m going through Buce melt right now, but they should be good in a month or so.

The floating plants are doing well so far. The Dwarf Water Lettuce and Amazon Frogbit add a nice touch with their root structures.

The plant acquisitions have been finalized, and I’m ready to see this tank grow in. I ordered some TC plants recently, so I can share pictures later in the week when everything is planted. This will probably be the last rescape that I do on this tank, as I’ll most likely be moving on to nano aquascapes in a few years for something new.

Plant List:

Microsorum pteropus "Narrow Leaf"
Microsorum pteropus
Microsorum pteropus “Windelov”
Anubias nana "petite"
Anubias nana
Anubias nana “Pinto”
Anubias nana “Gold”
Anubias barteri “Coffeefolia”
Some assorted Bucephalandra
Bucephalandra sp. Kedagang Japan
Bucephalandra sp. Brownie Blue
Bucephalandra sp. Hades
Dwarf Sag
Crypt parva
Crypt nurii “Rosen Maiden”
Crypt pontederiifolia
Crypt wendtii “Brown”
Crypt wendtii “Red”
Crypt wendtii “Green Gecko”
Helanthium tenellum “Red”
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Vallisneria spiralis
Vallisneria spiralis “Leopard”
Vallisneria nana
Echinodorus “Hadi Red Pearl”
Crinum calamistratum
A couple floating plants

This tank doesn’t look as full or grown-in as the previous scape, but with time, I expect it to become a jungle.

Holy moly, that is quite a list. I don’t think I kept more than a dozen different plants at the most at one time, even in my “dutch” stage.

Holy moly, that is quite a list. I don’t think I kept more than a dozen different plants at the most at one time, even in my “dutch” stage.

That’s the interesting thing about having all low light plants: since they take a long time to grow and fill in, it presents the opportunity to get a lot of plants. I have to hold myself back on spending money on super rare Crypts and Anubias. There are lots of little gems on the low light side.

I added a nice group of Pristella Tetras to the tank. They are shy at the moment, but they should be a outgoing fish in the future.

Tank Pictures:

VK0xrRM.jpg

GiReDWI.jpg

8EoCNL2.jpg

1xMNnvK.jpg

1EPwblT.jpg

Xr32kXT.jpg

1nAx5XB.jpg

DgLReQC.jpg

Pf1CogZ.jpg

4IoNnjn.jpg

NqaBcjv.jpg

FTS:
f5Il6NT.jpg

I subtracted the Anubias nana “Gold” and added some Threadleaf Java Fern and what I believe is Tricolor Lotus. The tank is root tabbed up, and now it’ll be a wait-and-see approach for a year to see how it grows in. Hopefully the Micro Sword grows and establishes itself.

Back
Top Bottom