13G Widescreen Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
I originally posted this thread in the "Nano Reef" section... Due to the lack of activity in that section I decided to move it here.

So I have to decided to dip my toes in the ocean and take a stab at converting my 13G into a nano reef.

I have most of the equipment needed to kickstart the project. I have

- Refractometer
- power head
- 13G widescreen tank
- Instant Ocean salt
- Glass hood
- FluvalSea Marine and Reef 2.0 LED strip light
- Heater
- Thermometer
- Tank background

I need to get LR and LS to begin my cycle. As for stocking I am open to any suggestions! I am new to saltwater fish keeping so all the help will be extremely appreciated on this journey.

Sounds good so far. I'd skip the glass good though, it will inhibit gas exchange. As far as lighting what kind of corals do you want? That dictates the light.

Stocking your gonna be limited to about 2 small fish and then inverts/coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wouldn't the glass hood prevent evaporation though? I only say this because I know as the water evaporates the water salinity will increase because the salt stays

I am thinking LPS corals or the hardier ones in general. I do want a CUC and I was only expecting to have 2/3 fish.

Still exploring fish possibilities since I don't know of many that would thrive in this size tank, suggestions?

+ 1 with bribo.
The problem with the lid is it holds in the co2 and thus lowers the pH.
This can become a big problem in any size tank.
I keep the back half of my marine tanks covered with glass but leave fronts off.

A little swing in SG is not the end.
Just top off every other day or so..

What are you going to be using for water???

The glass hood I have will leave about 6 or so inches in the back open. I think I will be buying the pre mixed salt water from a petco or LFS

For fish is look into gobies, small blennies, a clown would probably do ok as well.

Okay I will. Those are the kinds that I was planning on looking into. Do I need a HOB filter?

I'd run one just for Purigen or some type of phosphate remover. No sponge though.

So when it comes to the filter media pad that goes into for freshwater tanks.. I have read that you DO NOT want to have that in there. So do you place something else in that slot?

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use an aquaclear on my 13.3g. I took out the foam block and run chemipure elite, carbon pad and a regular pad. You CAN use the foam block, you just have to rinse it out with tank water when you clean things. The chemipure elite is awesome to use btw, will help with phosphates and keep the water clean for months. :)

I have the Aqueon quiet flow 10 that came with the tank.. not sure how I would set that up to begin running it to work with a marine setup is the confusion. I heard HOB filters aren't even needed?

I use the hob for running stuff like gfo and carbon. It also will pick up small particles and give you some flow. I'm familiar with the aqueons, I have a few but havent really used them alot for saltwater. You can though so don't think you MUST buy a new filter. lol Though, if you can, I would look into the aquaclear 20's. They are 24$ right now on amazon which is alot cheaper than the lfs's charge. They come with a pretty large back chamber for running things which is a plus. Just a thought. if you can;t do it then the aqueon should be fine. Just remember the carbon in those little cartridges only works for a few days and the white cotton part will clog up with gunk so it will have to be changed when it does. So, all in all you will spend the cash on the filter cartridges or the new filter. lol

Hmm.. I think I will add the HOB filter last. I want to get my tank set up with the LR and LS and then get some CUC going and see how the tank fairs. I did just spend about $150 on the new light and I wasn't expecting that. lol

Another update... the Light fixture I have now has a very poorly made touch sensor for the light adjustments and the power. I will sadly be returning this light and buying a different fixture.

I have added the LR LS and saltwater to my tank...

Now is time to start thinking about a CUC.

I was thinking as followed:
3 - nassarius snails
2 - cerith snails
1 - trochus snail
1 - Shrimp of some sort (haven't figured out which one yet)

Just a picture of how the tank looks. Would love some thoughts or opinions.

Attachments

• 1452518626517.jpg
    1452518626517.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 67
You need more rock. Follow a 1lbs per gallon rule. This is your main biological filtration in a saltwater tank along with providing enough hiding places for your fish.

I was planning on getting a little bit more. I have 10lbs now and it's only a 13G tank.

Thank you for the advice!

I will definitely look into it! I plan on getting some of the CUC today as well. Any suggestions or must haves?

Back
Top Bottom