15 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashifflett89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I am completely new dealing with cichlids so I was wondering what my options are with getting cichlids in this tank. Currently in the tank is just one pleco and 1 catfish.

Thank you for any and all input

Ashifflett89 said:
Hello,
I am completely new dealing with cichlids so I was wondering what my options are with getting cichlids in this tank. Currently in the tank is just one pleco and 1 catfish.

Thank you for any and all input

Kinda limited in stock for a tank that size..depeding what pleco&catfish you have determines what stock you may have..

Hi,
Unfortunately I do not know what kind of pleco or catfish I have as my dad got them for me months ago.. He got them from Petco , that's all I know, they're not anything unique or rare. The catfish is about 2 inches long but extremely skinny, maybe a centimeter in width. The pleco is dark with spots and he's about 2 inches as well. Both fish love to hide and stay in a broken pot decoration I have. The cichlid that appeals to me the most are the bright yellow African cichlids with the black tip fins. I believe they're called electric yellow African cichlids.

pics? i think your pleco is a common and he is going to need a much larger tank and its electric yellow lab

So the one's you want, grow about 5 inchs long at the max.

but I do not suggest putting them in a 15 gallon. a 20 gallon would be the minimum.

animalzrok2 said:
pics? i think your pleco is a common and he is going to need a much larger tank

I'm not home at the moment but I was just told that the pleco is actually not of the norm, he's had him for about 2 years and he hasn't grown anymore.

Greater-Ajax said:
So the one's you want, grow about 5 inchs long at the max.

but I do not suggest putting them in a 15 gallon. a 20 gallon would be the minimum.

Oh wow they get decent in size! Do you have any suggestions of colorful cichlids that would be ok in my 15 gal?

animalzrok2 said:
oh.. lol sorry my mistake

I know im not too helpful.. I want to start my own tank with bigger fish than the mollies and platys, and my dad gave me his pleco which I'm surprised is so small and hasn't grown but I guess that's a good thing he hasn't grown big. As for the catfish he doesn't know what kind he is but we've had him for a few months and he's still small too (thank goodness).

animalzrok2 said:
german blue rams, but they need great water conditions

What exactly do they need for water conditions? I just bought a master kit today. I can handle any maintenance, I just definitely want to get some/any colorful cichlids that can fit in my tank as getting a bigger tank isn't an option at the moment :/

here is a site that will help you. i know they say 20g but imo 15g is OK, although others may disagree. what is the footprint of the tank anyways? German Blue Ram

10 1-2 inches wide, 18 3-4 inches tall, 20 inch length. Thank you for your suggestions and website, I will be checking them out.

Back
Top Bottom