15 litre nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willba200

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, my parents have given me a nano tank which they had for about 6 months , but decided they did not want to do saltwater. I have done some tests and the ammonia is at 0.25 . I noticed the salt levels were very high and have got them down to 0.127(slightly high I know) there is a shrimp in the tank that seems to be ok! My water change today was about 75% and still shows ammonia. Does anyone have any thought on this. I will post a picture to see if you think I have enough live rock. Many thanks.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394999255.374779.jpg

Reason I did such a large change was because I'm not sure how there house keeping on the tank was.

If your using an api kit to test it may give you a false positive. Your lfs should test the water if you bring them a sample

I used mine and my brothers although is is a fresh water one, it still showed ammonia

Judging by the picture, do you think there's enough live rock

Rock is judged by the amount of pounds. Weigh it.

Freshwater kits are not valid in saltwater
Invest in some quality kits such as: Red Sea, Salifert or Hannah Checkers.

Actually if it's api kit, there the same tests but will produce slightly different final colors

No it's the exact same chemicals, the only difference is the color card, and maybe the price

Yeah especially if they charge more money :). Op your rock looks fine to me, good looking scape

Thanks , I have a 149 l saltwater set up already. My real question was the ammonia. Problem is I don't know what the parents were doing with the tank. I.e water changes etc.... Will it eventually go away or is something feeding it ?

Did you drain the tank or expose the LR to air? Did you physically move it or just take over the care?
Edit: if any of the first 3 are yes it's probably just a mini cycle

Not really. I did a 70% w/c today. Rock was exposed for a matter of minutes. Before I did the change it had a ammonia reading

Not really. I did a 70% w/c today. Rock was exposed for a matter of minutes. Before I did the change it had a ammonia reading.

Sounds like a mini cycle from the move. Your substrate looks like crushed coral, that may also be trapping decaying matter. IMO sand is much better for tanks, and easier to keep clean

Back
Top Bottom