150 Gal Stocking Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllThingsPets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I recently got a 150 Gal/681.9 litre tank. I was wanting to stock it with 12 Discus, 8 Angelfish, 1 Black Ghost Knife Fish, 1 Rainbow Shark, 2 Senegal Bichirs, and 1 Retro/Zaire Green Bichir. It will be planted with live plants and have houseplants with roots in the tank on top to help keep up with the nitrates. I have fluval fx4 250 gal canister filter. I have already done quite a bit of research on the species I want to get and I realize they can get big. I was wondering if this stocking is ok? Or should I decrease the number of angels/discus in the tank?

Well, first, discus need warmer water than the rest, plus extremely clean water so you'll need to keep the tank at 82 + F and change water at least every other day. Most plants don't do well at that temperature either, in my experience. I'd either skip the discus or make it a discus tank, although there are some species, like cardinal tetras, that would be compatible.

Skip the discus or make it a discus only tank, in which case 12 is probably double a safe bet.

Definite no to the knife and the bichers.

If going discus, or any fish at all, do not rely on house plants removing NO3. Water changes are needed.

Back
Top Bottom