165gl stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PappyTom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
HI All, new here but not new to Aquariums.
been raising Discus for about 15 years. I also have a seahorse tank and a 125gl Fowlr.
next project is a 165gl/with 55gl sump FOWLR setup ( sump will be another 30gl of volumn)
this tank will have live sand, and plenty of Rock (at least 100lb but probably closer to 130) it will also have some artificial corals in it.

I am probably 2-3 months away from first fish going in but want to start planning a bit. REALLY undecided as to my direction of tankmates so am wide open to suggestions and even a completely new list, actually the more the better.
Here is my first thoughts of a tank setup - again, I am open to any and all suggestions.
we have been wanting Puffers for a while so I would like to see if they will fit or not. if they are going to restrict many, many other tankmates please let me know as I have no problem squishing the idea. BUT here is my first list

Dogface Puffer
Blue Spotted Puffer - research tells me they will co-exist (thoughts on this)

Flame Angel
Lemonpeel Angel - will these 2 co-exist (and obviously I need to know if any of the fish listed will have problems with each other)

Scopas Tang
Kole Yellow Tang
Lavender Tang

Lyretail Wrasse

Goldhead Goby

now I must say our family with 6 grandkids and us being Foster Parents
we love to have a full and active tank with MANY fish in it. so if this all works together, can I add more? how many more? any suggestions would be helpful.
we want this to be a point of attraction in the family room.

Thoughts and recommendations and remember if you want to give me your own list PLEASE DO.....

look forward to seeing whats on your mind..

Hi, were you still putting the list together? And welcome to the forum :)
thanks, here is the list at the moment and this is in order of how I will qt them as well in each group. so probably take upwards of 6 months before I finish stocking. what do you think.

horseface blenny
goldhead goby
2 yellowstripe maroon clownfish

4 Lyretail Anthias (1 male - 3 females)

Flagfin Angelfish
Flame Hawkfish
Onespot Foxface

Lavender Tang
Kole yellow eye Tang
Scopas Tang

Flame Angelfish
Lemonpeel angelfish
Blue spotted Puffer

Niger Triger
Dogface Puffer
Lyretail Wrasse

Looks like a good list to me! I feel like every tank that can should have a flame hawk! They're hilarious. Mine sits and stares me down. Great fish.

They're hilarious. Mine sits and stares me down. Great fish.

sounds like my trigger in my predator tank . stair downs can be 5 min to a hour.
he also plays fetch with a big red plastic poker chip .
always wanted a flame hawk but every time I tried to order one they are out of stock,
they sell fast,
the yellow stripe maroon clowns are they the lighter ones or the darker ones ,
I have 2 of the darker ones my female is almost 8 inch in size funny thing the male is about a inch , the lighter colored ones don't get as big, since you have a 165g I'd go with the darker ones and there very social

sounds like my trigger in my predator tank . stair downs can be 5 min to a hour.
he also plays fetch with a big red plastic poker chip .
always wanted a flame hawk but every time I tried to order one they are out of stock,
they sell fast,
the yellow stripe maroon clowns are they the lighter ones or the darker ones ,
I have 2 of the darker ones my female is almost 8 inch in size funny thing the male is about a inch , the lighter colored ones don't get as big, since you have a 165g I'd go with the darker ones and there very social
I believe they are the darker Maroon colors, nice looking fish. would love to see mine get even 6 inches. one of the reasons I chose them was they grow a bit larger than regular ocellarus.

If the puffer can catch that goby it will be dinner. The lyretail wrasse is also agressive. What about a nice tassle file fish.

If the puffer can catch that goby it will be dinner. The lyretail wrasse is also agressive. What about a nice tassle file fish.

Hmmm, I am including the goby since it does such a good job on the sand in my 125 gl tank. Any ideas of something to replace the goby. And will that puffer go after the blenny as well
I will have to check out the filefish.

Back
Top Bottom