180 gallon Discus planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IME, barbs are nippers and are rambunctious. IMO, if you'll have discus, your tank should be called a "discus tank" being the discus as first priority and they should not have to fight for food. Like what I suggested earlier, cardinals and rummy nose tetras would be the best. Discus swim together with those fishes in the wild.

I would think cherry barbs would be ok. They are typically tempered like neon tetras.

If you were talking tiger barbs; I'd agree with Roy all the way.

If you've had them together in a while and you don't have any problems with nipping, then that should be fine. I was told before that danios are ok with discus and just as they got comfortable they started nipping on the discus. Those are just the observed behavior of those fishes. If in your tank they workout together, then everything is fine. :)

My cherry barbs keep there distance
I wanted to add 2 or 4 more
But if they give me any problems I have a few other tanks they can go too

roydooms said:
If you've had them together in a while and you don't have any problems with nipping, then that should be fine. I was told before that danios are ok with discus and just as they got comfortable they started nipping on the discus. Those are just the observed behavior of those fishes. If in your tank they workout together, then everything is fine. :)

You have Discus right?
What's your stock?

OBEYtheFISH said:
You have Discus right?
What's your stock?

Mine's overstocked but I don't let my nitrate level go over 20ppm. I have 6 discus, 46 cardinal tetras, 9 rummy noses, 2 albino bristle nose plecos, 5 amano shrimp, 20 corydoras, a pair of GBRs, a gourami, and snails in a 125g.

The photos in my album are almost a year old. I need to update it. Lol.

Last edited:
What equipment do you use on the tank?

I have a 110 US gallon tank waiting to be setup as a discus tank but not sure about what / how many filters, heaters, lights etc to get!

roydooms said:
Mine's overstocked but I don't let my nitrate level go over 20ppm. I have 6 discus, 46 cardinal tetras, 9 rummy noses, 2 albino bristle nose plecos, 5 amano shrimp, 20 corydoras, a pair of GBRs, a gourami, and snails in a 125g.

The photos in my album are almost a year old. I need to update it. Lol.

I'd love to see some pics!
What type of gourami? I was thinking of adding one but not so sure

OBEYtheFISH said:
I'd love to see some pics!
What type of gourami? I was thinking of adding one but not so sure

I got rid of 90% of the plants and adding new ones today. It still looks empty. I got tired of my plants and wanted new plants. Anyway, what I have is a blue dwarf gourami that looks so healthy because it is eating the same thing what I'm giving my discus. Lol

Wingman-Goose said:
What equipment do you use on the tank?

I have a 110 US gallon tank waiting to be setup as a discus tank but not sure about what / how many filters, heaters, lights etc to get!

I currently have an Fx5 & trying to get my hands on another
But going to modify the return so I won't have too much current in the tank
I have 3-300 & 1-250 watt heaters to keep the temp at 84-86 f.
I would advice to have some extras
I'm planning on adding some bubble wrap foil insulation in the back & sides of the tank to keep the tank at a constant temp. & not have it fluctuate on me since I have the tank outside

roydooms said:
I got rid of 90% of the plants and adding new ones today. It still looks empty. I got tired of my plants and wanted new plants. Anyway, what I have is a blue dwarf gourami that looks so healthy because it is eating the same thing what I'm giving my discus. Lol

Any plants left? I'll take some off your hands ;)
What do you feed your Discus?

Feeding time!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120102_075018.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120102_075018.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 197
  • ForumRunner_20120102_075044.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120102_075044.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ForumRunner_20120102_075101.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120102_075101.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 189
  • ForumRunner_20120102_075127.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120102_075127.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 207
OBEYtheFISH said:
Any plants left? I'll take some off your hands ;)
What do you feed your Discus?

I gave it to the person that bought my 55g set. Probably worth over $100. 50 blyxa japonicas, ludwigia, hygro, fire moss. I forgot the rest. Bloodworms, beefheart. Beefheart most of the time.

roydooms said:
I gave it to the person that bought my 55g set. Probably worth over $100. 50 blyxa japonicas, ludwigia, hygro, fire moss. I forgot the rest. Bloodworms, beefheart. Beefheart most of the time.

Daang
You mean flame moss?
I give mine blackworms, bloodworms, tropical flakes
I haven't used beefheart yet

OBEYtheFISH said:
Daang
You mean flame moss?
I give mine blackworms, bloodworms, tropical flakes
I haven't used beefheart yet

Yea. Flame moss. Lots of them. I lost interest and even forgot my fishes names. Lol. I'm starting to like aquariums again.

Back
Top Bottom