180 gallon tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would look amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Wat would u suggest as far as bigger fish go?

Look up Denison Barbs ... In a 180 you can easily do a dozen. A bit pricey but Petsmart has sales on them for around $5 each. They'll get up to 6 inches.
rummynose Tetras( Hemigrammus rhodostomus) is a great complimentary fish for both the Cardinals and Denisons.

personally, a few really big cichlids like managuense, green terrors, Jack dempseys and of course the oscars! maybe like only 4-5 though, considering the bioload and aggression and how huge managuense get. but either way i'd cichlidify that tank ;) x

i have no idea what the foot print is on a 180g but here in australia the barramundi and the murry cod have become popular as aquarium fish for some reason... (they can grow to something like 1.5m) im guessing maby a 180 might suit that but prolly only one hehe

but if i had too id go giant gourami ill never have space or a tank big enough but i love these guys....ooo or lotsa oscars

daveho said:
i have no idea what the foot print is on a 180g but here in australia the barramundi and the murry cod have become popular as aquarium fish for some reason... (they can grow to something like 1.5m) im guessing maby a 180 might suit that but prolly only one hehe

but if i had too id go giant gourami ill never have space or a tank big enough but i love these guys....ooo or lotsa oscars

180g is 72"x24"x24".

Hi,I currently have a 4ftx2ftx3ft but am in the process of getting 6x2x2 & am planning on stocking it with mixed lake malawi cichlids with an emphisis on colour & a rocky/drift wood setting.

Id love to have pirahnas as well but they are ilegal here in Australia. Ive never kept cichlids until two weeks ago so right now im super happy and fully into them.

crashf100 said:
Id love to have pirahnas as well but they are ilegal here in Australia. Ive never kept cichlids until two weeks ago so right now im super happy and fully into them.

I think you would lose interest in RBP and sell them within 6 months if they were legal. They are possibly the most boring fish to own. I know people that refer to them as "water statues" due to their relative inactivity.

5x5 said:
I think you would lose interest in RBP and sell them within 6 months if they were legal. They are possibly the most boring fish to own. I know people that refer to them as "water statues" due to their relative inactivity.
huh really? I thought the feeding part would be fun lol. Glad I stuck with africans. My next tank will be saltwater then maybe sa Cichlids of some sort.

Andrew McFadden said:
huh really? I thought the feeding part would be fun lol. Glad I stuck with africans. My next tank will be saltwater then maybe sa Cichlids of some sort.

That can be an interesting sight and probably the only highlight to owning them. Even then, I was disappointed at how tame most of the feeding frenzies were.

I don't know, perhaps they only respond that way to a live animal and if they are in a large school. Which isn't practical for a 180.

I kept marine tanks for years but have a 4year old & a 3year old who love getting VERY close to the glass & hence I had alot of moneys worth of fish hidding in the reef.My kids love the cichlids & I like how they have character & to be honest Im still amazed that I never really took an intrest in them before.

crashf100 said:
I kept marine tanks for years but have a 4year old & a 3year old who love getting VERY close to the glass & hence I had alot of moneys worth of fish hidding in the reef.My kids love the cichlids & I like how they have character & to be honest Im still amazed that I never really took an intrest in them before.

I was the same way, I sold all my salt stuff when we was getting ready to build our house. I had my 180g in the basement of my in laws waiting to be put in the wall. So I had almost two years to do research and figure out what I wanted. Glad I made the choice but there is still something about saltwater I loved over fresh.

I agree.Marine is the pinical & am proud to say had mine to the point of being so established that testing was only done out habbit as opposed to need.must admit living two minutes from a marine national park helped!! great water.

Back
Top Bottom