180G reef build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going with a mag drive for my return and koralias for my flow. I plan on using four power heads but I'm sure you'll need ones like the magnums. Uber water flow.

I'm going with a mag drive for my return and koralias for my flow. I plan on using four power heads but I'm sure you'll need ones like the magnums. Uber water flow.

yea i already know which pimp im going to use for my return, magnums? never heard of those got a link?

nvm i found them on drfoster those things are super powerful im looking at the stats now lol

I would choke if I had to spend that kinda money on a pump. I mean literally choke. LOL

I'm for the magnums! ;-)

lol yea their pricey but their soo cool adjustable flow and their powerful enough to go in anyway tank

Nice. Looks like what I'll be ordering just in a bigger version LOL

Youre gonna be bored after all this stuff comes in hehehe

well now all i need to order is the base rock and im gonna get the sand locally so im good to go i'll order the baserock on monday or tuesday

how many lbs of rock total should i be shooting for in this build?

I don't know about 300 right off the bat. You do need atleast a pound per gallon, and as much as two per gallon. I would go 200 at first then see how it looks, remember that if you want to keep tangs you are going to need open swimming space. It's not like you can't add more if you decide there is still space to fill.

yea thats true i'll start with about 130 lbs of base rock then about 40lbs of lr and see how it looks then go from there

He also has a really big footprint for all that rock. lol

I plan on putting in about 200lbs for my 125. 100lbs of base and the 100+lbs I have in my tanks.

Just my opinion but I'd want it setup with rock as close to what I want the end result to be. Moving and adding rock at a later date is a good idea, just will be more challenging then.

:-D

Hack, that is only 170, I would do atleast 180 to start. Personally I would just go with 200, nice 50lbs boxes, round numbers. Lol

well you guys forget i have 90 lbs in my 55G im going to be transfering over so i have to leave room for that

Ah ha, then order 2 50lb boxes of base rock and call it a day. If you decide you want more later then no biggie.

so maybe 100 lbs of base rock and 50 lbs of LR to seed it im trying to cycle the 180 first before i transfer anything over i thought about maybe moving the rock from the 55G thats already cycled would that work? i know some members have done it successfully

Should work. Adding a significant amount of established live rock greatly reduces the time of the cycle. I got my 65 cycled in 10 days using a ton of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom