1mm oval snail like but not snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robodadu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
have white oval, no bigger than 1mm snail like, but not a snail. No discernible head no opening almost like a tiny barnacle but smooth. They do not get bigger. I have freshwater tanks. They are on plants, wood, rocks and glass.
any ideas?

Might be seed shrimp. Or scuds. I get seed shrimp in my tanks sometimes. They don't do anything really.

seed shrimp

what are seed shrimp? where do they come from. I have no shrimp in tanks that have these critters.

Look up a freshwater limpet... I believe by what tou discribe that might be what you have. I had them in a 29g I had and don't know how they got in there but never had a problem with them. They lay eggs in the gravel and eat algae I believe

+1 on the freshwater limpets. I have them in a planted tank. They graze on algae and whatever but move very slowly. I frequently see them on the glass and occasionally on plants. Should not pose any problems. I have no bottom feeders in the tank (that might eat them I suppose).

thanks for the feed back. I watched a couple of videos on limpets. Maybe. I will continue research. I have not found them to be harmful.

Back
Top Bottom