1st Fish Aquarium Owner MULTIPLE Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malchill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off Hi, I have posted here before in sheer panic of something I did to my aquarium (it fixed itself). I found this community to be very helpful though so I thougt I would ask some question that have been popping up in my head to see if you guy/gals can help me.
TANK - 55g
FISH -
2x Coy Fish
2x Scissor Tail Fish
2x Dalmatian Fish
2x Solid Black Fish (idk the names)
2x Blue/Orange Fish (again, idk names)
1x Angel Fish (had another but it died within
24hrs of being in the tank)
1x Axolotl

1st Question - My aquarium is cloudy. It for very cloudy after my angel fish died. Any websites/products you suggest to fix this quickly? I dont trust Wal-Mart.

2nd Question - My Axolotl doesnt move much and doesnt eat much. Yes, I have the shrimp pellet food that he eats.

3rd Question - Are there any treats i can get them? Somethin different from their normal food these fish would like? Again, websites/products.

Thank you so much in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The secod question isnt really a question but is it normal for them to act this way? It hides alot under rocks and in the foliage.

Oh boy. Lol I do not recomend treating for cloudy water. You need to see why it is cloudy. Did you cycle your tank? Also it sounds like you have some incompatable fish. Can you provide pics so we know exactly what you have?
I do not know about the hiding.

What do your parameters read? How long has this tank been running with fish? What type of filtration?

In respect to your fish, do you mean 'koy' as koi carp? Pics of the other unknown fish will help in identifying them as well.

That's an interesting collection.

The lack of activity from the axolotl may be an indication of its health. How long have you owned it? The preferred temperature is between 60-64 F but no higher than either 72 or 75 F. Gravel can be fatal if ingested by axolotls. Hiding spaces are often helpful.

It would be so much more helpful if you gave actual names for these fish.

Give me 14hrs and ill have pictures. I dont know what "cycling" means... The tank ran for 2 weeks with no fish and has ran for a little more than a month with fish (all on the same filter). Just changed the filter not 2min ago. I have a Tetra Whisper 70. The tank runs 72-74 at all times. I dont know what the koy fish are. They maybe something else but like I said ill have pictures soon. After work ill buy something to test my water so ill have that info too.

The axolotl has been in the tank for about a week.

Dude you are not cycled. You are probably killing everything with ammonia! You need to test the water and probably do a water change. Cycling is the process of building up bacteria to eat toxins. Do not change that filter any more! Later I will try and get on here with more specifics for you.

Ah well Dang. Was told 70-72 was prefered for the axolotl. Also I will cycle my tank once i get home. Only experience I have had with a fish tank is a gold fish in a bowl when i was 5.

Ah well Dang. Was told 70-72 was prefered for the axolotl. Also I will cycle my tank once i get home. Only experience I have had with a fish tank is a gold fish in a bowl when i was 5.

Its all good. Most of us started with alot of mistakes :)

Yeah I would be lying If I said I didn't make mistakes when I started out.

You are going to need to take a look at this link. It will explain what you need to do to move forward with your tank to avoid killing stuff.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Even though you just changed your water I would absolutely do another 50% water change asap. You don't know what your parameters are and in a cycling tank this can be deadly to fish. After the 50% water change wait an hour and then take a sample of your water to a LFS to have it tested. They will be able to tell you how your water is. I would highly suggest that you pick up an API master test kit while you're there so that you can test it yourself.

After the pictures get posted of your fish then we can help you out a little more.

All the fish in my tank. Axolotl was in a different tank when that pic was taken. Also a picture of how cloudy my water is.

Attachments

• image-2941977712.jpg
    image-2941977712.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 97
  • image-4166246533.jpg
    image-4166246533.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-385241314.jpg
    image-385241314.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2098098433.jpg
    image-2098098433.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 110
  • image-233738243.jpg
    image-233738243.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-211362787.jpg
    image-211362787.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 102
  • image-1800524908.jpg
    image-1800524908.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image-4280308167.jpg
    image-4280308167.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-349802886.jpg
    image-349802886.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 108
All the fish in my tank. Axolotl was in a different tank when that pic was taken. Also a picture of how cloudy my water is.

Wow ok pic 1 and 4 are goldfish and need to go. Pick 2 and 3 appear to be mollies whick are fine. The black one is an angelfish and tbe silver guys are tetras. The goldfish all need to go to a new home. Then we can cycle and work on stocking.

Back
Top Bottom