1st Fish Aquarium Owner MULTIPLE Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Goldfish are not only coldwater fish that grow large but they produce copious amounts of waste and ammonia into the water which is very bad for other fish, especially tropical fish which shouldn't be housed with them. Tropical fish also should be housed in warmer water which means using a heater. You do have another choice of keeping the goldies and getting rid of the tropical fish. Goldfish I can tell you from experience are a lot of work. Due to their high bioload they need good filtration (I had a Fluval canister 406 and a Wisper EX70 on both 55g goldie tanks), 50% WC's weekly and sometimes 2 WC's weekly. They need to be fed sinking pellets and fresh veggies and some fruits. You don't want to feed anything that they have to eat from the surface as this causes them to ingest too much air which can lead to swim bladder issues. I could go on and on but think you get the idea. As for the axolotl it really needs to be in it's own properly set up tank or returned.

Also forgot to ask what type of filtration do you have on this tank? Most likely your cloudiness is due to multiple issues and is actually the least of your problems at this point.

100% agree with rivercats. Either way the axalotl will need to be rehomed in its own tank, but then you need to decide whether to go cold water or tropical. The cold water fish are orandas and will get to about 18cm ish, and with the fancy tails will be about the same high, and they will by far be the messiest fish. The Molly's and scissortail rasboras will be fine as long as you have a heater, but the tank doesn't look tall enough for the angel fish. They get big and will need at least a 1.5 - 2 foot tall tank. And you need a good filter cycled for all the fish. What sort of filter do you have?

Wisper EX70. Already found a place for the goldfishes and the axolotl. Everything else is fine right? The tank is 1.25ft tall that pocture doesnt do it much justice.

Also i do have a heater that meets the requirments of my tank.

Everything else should be good. :) all the other fish should be absolutely fine together including the dwarf gourami ( sorry, missed them off my original post ). They'll all be good at the same temp(24-25 c) nice fast work :D

UPDATE: Just tested my water with a strip from walmart i know thise are bad but cant get API stuff cause the fish stores are closed and im doing this cycle tonight.

Nitrate - 20ppm

Nitrite - .5ppm

Hardness - 300ppm

Alkalinity - 120ppm

pH - 6.8

Attachments

• image-3266385546.jpg
    image-3266385546.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 87
UPDATE: Just tested my water with a strip from walmart i know thise are bad but cant get API stuff cause the fish stores are closed and im doing this cycle tonight.

Nitrate - 20ppm

Nitrite - .5ppm

Hardness - 300ppm

Alkalinity - 120ppm

pH - 6.8

Ok definetly not cycled. You need to do a water change. The good news is your cycle has started. Just keep testing and changing the water. You need an ammonia test.

Nitrate - 20ppm

Nitrite - .5ppm

Hardness - 300ppm

Alkalinity - 120ppm

pH - 6.8

Given the .5 reading for nitrite, (and unknown ammonia) I'd recommend another 50% pwc.

Not sure why you posted that picture of the filters, but don't change your filter cartridge out unless it's literally falling apart

Hey there. Talk about some quick work to fix a bad situation! Good job.

You've gotten a lot if great advice here, but I wanted to clarify something. You've mentioned a couple of times that you are cycling your tank tonight. Check out info online about the nitrogen cycle. It's not actually something we do... It just happens as part of setting up a tank. Ideally, we set up a new tank and add fish slowly over weeks and months. After the 1st are added, we watch the cycle run it's course. 1st, ammonia rises, then nitrites, then nitrates and ultimately, the ammonia and nitrite go back to zero. Once that happens, the tank is generally cycled. This usually takes a minimum of a week and usually longer.

Just saying this to let you know this will take a while to run its course. Fight the good fight with water changes and close monitoring of your levels and be prepared for the possibility of losing some of your fish.

Great work, though. You got good advice and acted quickly giving your fish a better chance at making it :)

You beat me!! I was also going to say that it's nearly impossible to cycle a tank in one night (it was kinda sounding like the OP was saying that. It will take 30-40 days. With fish in, you will need to test the water at least 2 times a day and probably change about 25-50% of the water a day also..

You beat me!! I was also going to say that it's nearly impossible to cycle a tank in one night (it was kinda sounding like the OP was saying that. It will take 30-40 days. With fish in, you will need to test the water at least 2 times a day and probably change about 25-50% of the water a day also..

My tank cycled much faster... I have a 125 gallon with a fx5. Granted I used a ApI quick start and my African side neck to get the cycling going instantly.

Hey there. Talk about some quick work to fix a bad situation! Good job. You've gotten a lot if great advice here, but I wanted to clarify something. You've mentioned a couple of times that you are cycling your tank tonight. Check out info online about the nitrogen cycle. It's not actually something we do... It just happens as part of setting up a tank. Ideally, we set up a new tank and add fish slowly over weeks and months. After the 1st are added, we watch the cycle run it's course. 1st, ammonia rises, then nitrites, then nitrates and ultimately, the ammonia and nitrite go back to zero. Once that happens, the tank is generally cycled. This usually takes a minimum of a week and usually longer. Just saying this to let you know this will take a while to run its course. Fight the good fight with water changes and close monitoring of your levels and be prepared for the possibility of losing some of your fish. Great work, though. You got good advice and acted quickly giving your fish a better chance at making it :)

Yeah sorry about the confusion what I meant to imply was that I did a 50% water change and im starting it. I read up on the cycle and ill probably do 25% wc every other day. Thanks for all the advice guys. Moved in with my girlfriend of a year after being single for 7. My whole apartment is literally all girled out. I mean come on, I now have a Hello Kitty bathroom :( and this fish tank is all I got that tells everyone... "Hey even though it doesnt look like it, there is a guy living here" So thanks for the help ill post pictures once it gets better and fully stocked.

Yeah sorry about the confusion what I meant to imply was that I did a 50% water change and im starting it. I read up on the cycle and ill probably do 25% wc every other day. Thanks for all the advice guys. Moved in with my girlfriend of a year after being single for 7. My whole apartment is literally all girled out. I mean come on, I now have a Hello Kitty bathroom :( and this fish tank is all I got that tells everyone... "Hey even though it doesnt look like it, there is a guy living here" So thanks for the help ill post pictures once it gets better and fully stocked.

Lol. I got married 8 years ago. I came into into it with what was a pretty nice stereo/DVD player with surround sound speakers. My wife asked me if we could hide the speakers behind the entertainment center. All my decor is still in a box in a closet. I feel your pain.

By the way, are those live plants?

Back
Top Bottom