1st fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jredmon74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So now I have my first fish its a ocellaris baby clown just one so far. If everything goes good for about 2 weeks I am gonna add a baby black ocellaris. How often do you need to feed him and whats a really good food for clowns? I have been giving about 1/4th of a frozen brine shrimp cube about every 2 or 3 days is that way to long for them to go with out food.I also have 3 blue legged hermits to help eat all the food the fish doesnt get. I have had him in there for a 4 days so far and the amonia level is still 0 and he has been staying in the back corner. Also in one of the pictures I know its a little blurry but there is some green bubbles looks like snot bubbles coming out of one of the rocks anyboby know what type of algea it is? Thanks for the help

Attachments

• P3080806.jpg
    P3080806.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 163
  • P3080805.jpg
    P3080805.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 170
  • P3080802.jpg
    P3080802.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 147
  • P3080804.jpg
    P3080804.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 173
from my readings brine doesn't have alot of protein in ti, mysis shrimp is much better. i feed my two percs mysis shrimp once a week and pellet food everyday

I have 2 false perculas and 2 maroon clowns. Along with a yellow tang, sailfin tang, flaco hawkfish, pajama cardinal, and 3 blue damsels which I feed about 3 or 4 times throughout the day.

Brine is pretty much useless unless used as a treat every now and then, it has little to no nutritional value. Try feeding him pellets every other day. I used Hikari Marine S pellets and my clowns were fine. As for the algae, use a tweezer to twist it off of the rock, don't pop it, or as stated before, it will spread fast. In the top right picture, it looks like you may have aiptasia with is another nasty hitchhiker, click the link in my signature for info/removal methods and a picture to clearly ID it. In the other pics you have posted look like you may have some other nasty hair algae and caulperpa.

Last edited:
so emarld crabs will eat the bubble algea also been a week on so far readings are still 0 all looking good and also i think i have some of those isopods how would you go about getting rid of them.

Make sure you clearly ID the crab before you stick it into the tank, because once it's in there, chances are you won't get it out again. With an inexperienced person selecting the crab, they may be mistaken. As for the pods, double check since they may actually just be amphipods or copepods, although isopods tend to be a little larger if I remember right. As for removal methods, I have no clue so a more knowledgeable person will have to comment.

how long should it take for a fish to make a impact on the aquarium i have been wainting for my amonia to come up a little but havent seen it yet which my tank is 29gal. and i put the baby clown in. I was just wanting to make sure my tank is done cycling and safe to put another fish in it which i am just going to get a black clown baby to put in with the other one. What do you guys think?

If the tank is indeed cycled, then you should never see any ammonia or nitrite reading. Nitrates will increase and PWC & macro-algae will reduce that to healthy levels.

jredmon74 said:
how long should it take for a fish to make a impact on the aquarium i have been wainting for my amonia to come up a little but havent seen it yet which my tank is 29gal. and i put the baby clown in. I was just wanting to make sure my tank is done cycling and safe to put another fish in it which i am just going to get a black clown baby to put in with the other one. What do you guys think?

The only way you would have an ammonia spike in a cycled tank us if you put too many fish in at once, therefore causing a mini cycle.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I just got my first fish too! 2 maroon clowns. I made a batch of homemade food with mysis shrimp, assorted seaweed, scallops, salmon, squid, shrimp, and a little algae. I soak a little frozen bit of that in selcon (a vitamin booster), and then put some tank water in the bowl and slowly pour it in. The clowns (and the shrimp and hermits) love it. I feed them every other day, and they are doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom