1st time fish <3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big MaC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So yesterday I did what proably everyone will say was a dumb move...:facepalm: I decided to get my first fish.. a Betta fish...
the people at walmart recomended a bowl.. but i elected to use my 29gallon tank that I had previously used for my LHC's (land hermit crabs).
So currently I have 1 betta fish (a crowntail) in my 29gallon tank with a rock bottom, a little rock thingy, 2 fake plants, a filter, a bubler, and a temperature gadge (temp is at 78*).

So... now that I have the life of an adorible living fishy in my hands... I probably should find out what all I need for my new little friend... and how I can make his tank (idk if he is a he..) a little more lively :)

Thanks

Nope, Never had fish before,
and I cycled the tank by letting it sit for a day filled with water (i used well water) and then I put a stress coat thing in it that is supposed to kill off any clhorine etc.

Mr. Fish seems to be doing qell he has been exploring the tank and seems to be enjoying the area by the filter as of now.

Your betta will love you for that 29g tank!

Regular water changes and being careful of not killing off your bacteria bed, you'll be fine. Those are key to cycling fish-in. Although I dunno what bio load the betta will have in a 29.

Good luck :)

The "let it sit for x number of days" that the pet shops tell you, does nothing. I just smile and nod when they say that. Be sure to read the link posted above and you'll see why :)

I cycled the tank by letting it sit for a day filled with water

You're just experiencing the typical newbie mistakes that most of us went through. The good thing is that you can learn from our mistakes and possibly keep your fish alive.

Please be sure to click on the link I sent above and read through the article. It's crucial information when you first start up a tank.

Please let us know if you have any questions. :)

Wow....worlds luckiest betta! Congrats on electing to ignore the betta bowl advice.

Read the link on cycling. This is key, but with alot of water changes and testing you and Mr. Fish will get through it!

My suggestion is to scrap the fake plants and add live plants. Betta's love plants and the absorb harmful chemicals and you have so much room to play with in a 29g. Some nice tall fast growing stem plants first (cabomba, hornwort, anacharis). With even just a standard t8 bulb you should be able to grow lots of different things crypts, anubias, java ferns, java moss, stargrass swords, watersprite and wisteria are all options.

Yes, I applaud you for picking the 29 gallon. I strongly recommend, though, to have a backup plan for your Betta if he doesn't get along with the fish you put in with him. Some bettas will live peacefully with other fish, others will allow nothing else in the tank. My sister had the latter and he tore a neon tetra to shreds and bit off the antennas of 2 snails!:eek:

Okay so this may sound crazy to the majority of you, but for my LHC's they each have 2 5.5 gallon pools one fresh and one salt. That's why I threw in the 2 plants they are fake. But they came from the LHC's fresh water pool which has similar conditions to that of which a betta would need ( or so I think).
what types of plants with my baby enjoy having and where can I buy them? Is there anything else my betta baby would like? Or need? What kinds of fresh food would be good for it?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!!

I would get some Java Moss and Java Ferns. They grow well with the light that comes with the tank so you wouldn't need to go out and buy a stronger light.

Back
Top Bottom