2.5 gallon Betta build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops!

Overdosing anything is a bad idea in such a small tank. Not good for shrimp if you ge them, but the betta should be fine. Definitly try not to though!

Ferts should do the trick for the plants..

I'd go 10 watt on the 2.5, 2 10-13 watts on the 10 or 1 20 in a lamp. Yes a normal desk should work with a good CFL
Ok, so is the DIY CO2 go... or no go?

Ok, for the 10 gallon I am gonna have a brooder lamp (10") and a 20 somethin' watt bulb with a 6500k bulb.

For the 2.5, I'll use a desk lamp and a 5000k-6500k bulb with a lower wattage than the one on the ten gallon.

Is this ok?

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, so is the DIY CO2 go... or no go?

Ok, for the 10 gallon I am gonna have a brooder lamp (10") and a 20 somethin' watt bulb with a 6500k bulb.

For the 2.5, I'll use a desk lamp and a 5000k-6500k bulb with a lower wattage than the one on the ten gallon.

Is this ok?

Whatever you want man, co2 or not. If you want to grow plants faster, but risk overdosing an throwing the tank off-balance, sure co2. If you'd like ferts, they wont grow your plants as quickly, but your tank will be a bit safer/easier

Sounds good. Dont go above 10 watts on the 2.5

Gboy66 said:
Whatever you want man, co2 or not. If you want to grow plants faster, but risk overdosing an throwing the tank off-balance, sure co2. If you'd like ferts, they wont grow your plants as quickly, but your tank will be a bit safer/easier

Sounds good. Dont go above 10 watts on the 2.5

I'll probably do CO2 then. If I do CO2, what fertilizers do i need besides Flourish, which I already have?

phoenixkiller said:
I'll probably do CO2 then. If I do CO2, what fertilizers do i need besides Flourish, which I already have?

You could get away with just flourish and excel. The plants might not grow as fast as possible, but they will still grow very fast. IMO it's not worth dosing a precise amount of each individual element everyday. It's just too much work for that little extra speed.

You could get away with just flourish and excel. The plants might not grow as fast as possible, but they will still grow very fast. IMO it's not worth dosing a precise amount of each individual element everyday. It's just too much work for that little extra speed.
Are you talking about the ten gallon or the 2.5? Or both?

maxwellag said:
Both, but on the 10g I would use a higher powered bulb. I have a 26w one on my 5g and it barely achieves high lighting.

But Max, if they don't want CO2 isn't medium light fine??
Excel is a Carbon source but in High light won't you need actual CO2 ???

I don't have High light tanks. I have low/Med light 20 watts total over 10g using mini U CFLs

I'm not growing any Carpet, but i do grow Blyxa and a few other things I was told need higher lighting and CO2. I have a couple of stems that are struggling, but all the rest are great.

I have to trim my stems every week and remove floaters and if my plants grew any faster I'm afraid they'd attack me while I sleep !!!!

Both, but on the 10g I would use a higher powered bulb. I have a 26w one on my 5g and it barely achieves high lighting.
Ok. I've been looking on several different sites, but never found a perfect one. So, here's my questions:

1. What's a good light for my ten gallon on Walmart.com?

2.What's a good light for my 2.5 gallon on Walmart.com?

3. Does it matter which brooder lamp I get for the ten gallon (As long as it is at least 10".)?

EDIT: Never mind. You told me in chat. Thanks!

Do I need to get Excel for the ten gallon?
Excel is a CO2 substitute, some what, and helps the plants grow faster. If you plan to add shrimp to the 10, don't use it. It will kill the shrimp, so I heard. But it is a good product. I am considering getting Flourish Comprehensive.

FreshObsessed said:
Excel is a CO2 substitute, some what, and helps the plants grow faster. If you plan to add shrimp to the 10, don't use it. It will kill the shrimp, so I heard. But it is a good product. I am considering getting Flourish Comprehensive.

I would just use 1/2 dose of excel with Shrimp. Lots of people use it with Shrimp. I'm just paranoid and don't.

I would just use 1/2 dose of excel with Shrimp. Lots of people use it with Shrimp. I'm just paranoid and don't.
Same here. "Better safe than sorry."

If you're not too lazy (Just kidding, that was a joke), I am posting a thread on what is the first 2o or so plants I should get for my tanks. So if you wanna check it out, it'll be good.

Back
Top Bottom