2.5 gallon fish options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liljosh609

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of fish could I possibly do with a 2.5G if I keep up with water changes? If it outgrows, I can give it to a friend with a 20G. Also, I tested my ammonia, which was at .25 ppm. Is this normal for a tank that was setup for only 1 day? How long will this take to go down, and are there any ways to get it down? I guess water change???

Hi. I am semi-new to this whole thing, so I'm going to try and give you whatever advice I know to be true. And from personal experience....

with regards to fish...just be smart about it. You can put whatever fish you want in there. Just do your research and see how fast the fish are going to grow. Obviously when they get too big I would move them out, but a juvenile clownfish would be more than ok in a tank that size. They take several months to grow to a size that is too big for that tank. Just think about it from a common sense standpoint....you can put any fish in any size environment, as long as it is the correct size to survive!

In regards to your ammonia, do some research on your own about cycling an aquarium. Don't change your water yet, let the cycle go through its progression and let the ammonia "live" in the aquarium so you can begin a proper cycle, and then when your ammonia goes back down (after a couple days in a small aquarium such as that) you know you are golden, and have enough algae or bacteria to handle your ecosystem....THEN I would change to clean water (avoid using tap water at all costs, reef hobbyist, or aquarists, will kill you if you use tap water).

Having a small tank like that, I would personally suggest stockpiling 10 gallons of RO/DI water form a local fish store (LFS) and 10 gallons of real salt water from petco (comes in 5 gallons boxes). That is the safest method to do water changes in a small aquarium!

Hope that helped!

Wow! Thanks so much for all of the input. So what should I get first in the tank-fish, coral, or shrimp/other invert? Also, I noticed you're into wrestling, so am I since I currently wrestle for my high school.

My recommendation is no fish for anything less than a 5 gallon tank... Remember that is a creature you are taking from the ocean. It will banking putting the lil guy in a jail cell not to mention the waste issue a fish would produce... Just not worth it in the long run... Best thing you can do is... Get some nice corals in there with some hermits and some nice small shrimp they will keep you well occupied.

Good luck and happy reefing!

I don't want to sound like a sour puss but a clown fish does need a minimum of 20-30 gallons. In a pico tank that size I would suggest an invert tank. You might get away with pairing a goby and pistol shrimp but even that is pushing it. I know you say that you do have a home for them to go to when they get to big for the pico but I would never buy a fish just because I know I have another tank for it to go to.

As far as you cycle you sound like you are on the right track. You ammonia should come up to at least 4ppm then drop and your nitrites rise then drop and finally you nitrates should rise and drop. In a tank that small you will have to test pretty often to see this happen. Take time with it the fluctuations in a tank that small can be detrimental to livestock. I would give it a good two to three weeks before I added anything to it just to make sure parameters level out which will be pretty hard to do in such a small tank. Once you have done that I would start with some hermits. Get the cuc going mind you I would only add one or two ya won't need any more. This is when you really have to exercise patience. Give it another week adding the hermits will cause a mini cycle and you need to give the beneficial bacteria time to build up to the new bioload or your water will become toxic. Add livestock very slowly. Then you could add a coral. Coral bioload isn't as heavy.

You have definatly picked a challenge as far as tank size goes. Bigger is generally easier with saltwater but picos are done more often then not. You better watch out you will want a bigger one in no time. I have a jbj 28 gallon and I love it. It is all contained in one unit so it is pretty fuss free just do weekly water changes and go. I wish you luck if ya have questions just ask but remember slow and steady wins the race with saltwater. :)

I don't understand how bigger is easier. I guess the water is less prone to quick changes therefore reducing stress on the inhabitants? I don't think I would put a clown in there, but I am thinking about a yellow goby??? Also, what corals could I do if I have 2x 6watt-one actinic and one 10,000k?

Bigger is easier for several reasons. What would have more impact on nutrient levels? A fish pooping in a small bowl, or a fish pooping in a 100 gallon tank? What would have more impact on salinity levels? A little freshwater evaporating from a small bowl or a little freshwater evaporating from a 100 gallon tank? When water evaporates, the salt stays behind. You can get big shifts in salinity.

I also agree; there is no saltwater fish that should be in a 2.5 gallon tank. Some would even argue that 10 gallons is the minimum for any marine fish.
If it were my tank, I would do a trio of sexy shrimp, a couple dwarf hermits, and a couple snails.

I'm not to good with the whole lighting thing. My tank came with metal halides so it has never been a worry for me. Their is some great people on the forum who know quite a bit about lighting. Search the forum there are lots of threads on lighting. If I was to suggest any coral it would be mushrooms they like low light and low flow so they should be suited to your specks.

I have a yellow watchman and It is already about 3 inches in length still might be to large for your tank. She also swims around the tank quite a bit.

Question are you able to upgrade tank size at all it would definatly allow more options for ya.

I agree with the sexy shrimp (you could have several), and some hermits and snails. Add some colorful corals, and that's a cool tank! :)

What are some cheap/hardy corals? In my LFS all of the corals are $40+ and I see them online for as low as $7!!! But I have to pay 20-$30 shipping...what about petco or petsmart?

Ok, so I hear about frags all the time and seen pictures, but what exactly defines frags? Also, what is cheap???

Petco and other national chains won't be great plans to find deals on frags (very small pieces of corals glued to a small rock or frag plug), they have to price whatever the head office says. Look for small LFS around you that do SW. Some of my LFS usually have large mushrooms for $10 each, small zoas for $10-15. I got 1 head of hammer for $15. My sun coral was $10, it was only a few heads at the time. Just gotta check out several places.

Sorry, I meant what price range is exactly cheap considered? Is there anything less than $20?

Ok thanks. Yea my place has outrageously expensive prices. Solutions I can buy at petsmart on sale for $7.50 are $30 at the LFS. just not worth it-it really pisses me off. There aren't really any other LFS nearby so I think it would have to be petco or petsmart. How much more would it be?

Back
Top Bottom