2.5 gallon planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the help catfish

The guy at my lfs told me to buy shrimp in odd numbers, is this correct?

gman42 said:
Thanks for the help catfish

The guy at my lfs told me to buy shrimp in odd numbers, is this correct?

That's a first. The things some fish stores tell people. Man. *shakes head*

Any number you add, even if its just two, will be okay as long as you end up with a male and a female. The only living thing I've seen these guys fight is algae and they even go easy on that. Odd numbers for livestock is something people used to say about small schools of aggressive fish like tiger barbs. It can't be applied to shrimp and is very debatable even for the fish that rule was originally made for.

You're good with the shrimp you bought. There's nothing at all wrong with having an odd number of them. Once they start breeding you'll never know how many you really have for sure anyway! lol

Haha

Im looking forword to getting them
They r a bit more expensive than expected, but im selling some aquarium stuff of cl
So i will have some spending $ :)

Im looking at the nano aquarium refugium light on amazon... Do u guys think it would be good for the 10 gallon?

Seems like a lot of light for a 2.5 but I like what I'm seeing with the fixture. One review states that it uses a normal screw in type bulb which in a bonus.

Oh sorry i prob forgot to mention it would be on the 10.
I cant find another light for the price for the 10. I was thinking it would be a huge improvement over a t8 bulb. The bulb on the light needs to be replaced which costs $17. So i would rather get a new light inatead of put more money in a crappy light.

Oh, for a 10 it should work out well. If you find it a little strong you can switch the bulb easily enough. I think it's something I would try myself for a 10 if I wasn't looking to use LEDs. A Finnex FugeRay works great for up to medium plants and a Ray 2 bumps it into high light. That fixture in your link will probably be around medium to high light depending on the bulb.

Im really liking the fixture because it is cheap, will give me good light, and even has moonlights.
Ill keep u guys updated ln wats going on.
Im going to get rcs for the 2.5 soon, and i will start a thread for the 10 gallon in a bit.

I don't think it's long enough for a 10. I think you will end up with one really bright end, with the far end not being as bright. For 30 bucks more you can get the 20" Finnex Fugeray and you would have consistent lighting all the way across your tank. Plus it has moonlights.

Also, the spotlights are pretty high in the color spectrum so it may make your plants look funny. It looks like that light is designed for a nano reef.
You will want something around 6K to 8K LEDs.

bevoholic said:
I don't think it's long enough for a 10. I think you will end up with one really bright end, with the far end not being as bright. For 30 bucks more you can get the 20" Finnex Fugeray and you would have consistent lighting all the way across your tank. Plus it has moonlights.

Also, the spotlights are pretty high in the color spectrum so it may make your plants look funny. It looks like that light is designed for a nano reef.
You will want something around 6K to 8K LEDs.

I agree with all of this but I don't know if the light would be brighter on one side or not. It only needs to reach "near" the center of the tank to cast an even light. You may be right though. Still, 10 gallons aren't that long and with 26 watts he'll be growing plants well even with the bulb it comes with.

That bulb is definitely more blue than what is normally used for plants. A bulb swap will handle that but THEN the cost really does come close to a FugeRay. They both have moonlights but I never even use mine at night on the FugeRay (timer). I definitely can't argue against FugeRays at all. My planted 5.5 gallon tank is growing everything I put under it plenty darn well and never needs new bulbs.

If you're looking for the cheapest light option the 10w LED daylight floodlights on eBay are impossible to beat. 13 bucks shipped for a 10 watt. I tried one over my 5.5 gallon and it was actually to strong. I use a 20w and a 10w over my 20H and it grows compact HC. The only issue is mounting them. I had to build something to use it over the 5.5 and the 20H has a hood so it wasn't much work there. Still, for convenience, either Finnex fixture would be way easier. Not everybody has a workshop.

Plants are growing great under the cfl bulb.

Im planning on buying some rcs in about 2 weeks.
My lfs wont get any in until next week, so im not exactly sure when i will get them.

Attachments

• image-3955015816.jpg
    image-3955015816.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3799478940.jpg
    image-3799478940.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3997851280.jpg
    image-3997851280.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image-448460183.jpg
    image-448460183.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 111
Thanks!

I my trim the large crypt. It starting to take over.

I got some rcs!

One is full grown, the rest are juvies.

Attachments

• image-941986831.jpg
    image-941986831.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image-830798926.jpg
    image-830798926.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 96
  • image-733245219.jpg
    image-733245219.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 85