2 55 Gallons 1 Guy...throw me ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Tank Guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya everyone!

New here, but I've always known of this site, just never made an account before. Been out of the fish keeping game for over 10 years due to where I live, but I moved recently so It's no longer an issue. Last month I nabbed me two 55 gallons for $45 in a driveway one day going home. I know, heck of a deal. They're old Marineland tanks. I just couldn't pass it up. The only catch, they had been used as reptile tanks so there are scratch issues and need of resealing due to some leak issues. I'm currently in the process of going over the insides of one with cerium oxide. I plan on doing it good enough to where I eventually get even the deepest ones out after 5 jillion hours, haha. I'm not worried about the glass going paper thin since it's old school thick...well...like a tank. heehee. I plan to be running a discontinued and used, but like new Fluval FX5 I'm getting from a friend and another that is of output equivalent with biofiltration. I'll prob move on to something more recent with that FX 5, it's just to get one tank started and on it's feet. So the tanks will be very well filtered for their size. I'll be doing fully freshwater fish only, no brackish.

I'm enjoying it though. It's a pain working on the scratches, it's project I don't mind and love it. In fact I've been stressed out lately from life so I figured getting back into my passion would do me mentally good and destresser. It makes the tank more personal. My main point of this is post is that I've been trying to think of what to keep in them/ what to do. My imagination is everywhere.

Let's have some fun here I suppose. List me what you would stock Tank 1 & 2, for example (2x bla bla). This would help me conjure up ideas of fish I may have never thought about.

For one I would do a planted tank with a nice group of angelfish, the other I would probably plant it again and do a bunch of nano fish and shrimp. Or some shell dweller cichlids, whatever floats your boat.

For one I would do a planted tank with a nice group of angelfish, the other I would probably plant it again and do a bunch of nano fish and shrimp. Or some shell dweller cichlids, whatever floats your boat.
First thing I thought about were some of the Cichlid varieties, but what if everything floats my boat?? This is why I need ideas, haha.

I'd love to have one tank of larger cichlids, one of fancy goldfish/subtropical and one of nano fish/shrimp. Best advice, take a walk through a few petstores and see what really catches you eye right now.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 Toad's Best Advice

I'd also advise going through some videos on YouTube of popular fish youtubers to see what you like from their content. I know I have seen some really good looking tank set-ups on youtube along with some informational/useful videos on the fish keeping hobby in general. If you do watch YouTube videos for research I'd double/triple check all of the information you get though just to ensure validity. Since these are your tanks what YOU like and what YOU can sustain are going to be most important things.

I'd personally vote for fancy goldfish but I'd recommend doing as AnimalKrazed said and walk through the LFS and see what catches your eye.

Well, I would walk through a fish store to really figure out what catches me the most, but sadly the last one went out of business here and it was a mom and pop owned and they retired. I mean there is a Petco, but I'd rather not support them being a fish lover. Other than that the nearest fish store is way too far away. So I'm probably gonna have to order via online.

I would do South American cichlids in one cuz there is so many varieties you'll find something you like, and the other one I would do planted angles, maybe a loach or two they are fun tanks to have.......

You don't have to buy from them, just go for a look lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do one salt water and one freshwater but decorate the saltwater to look like a freshwater and the freshwater to look like a saltwater!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Different shades of bosemani rainbows might look nice, or live bearers? Cld be a little pocket money maker if the last LFS has gone? I've seen some nice tetra-type tanks on YouTube.

If u don't mind lots of small fish, a big ol' swarm of lampeyes and a herd of Cory cats could look cool?

I'm so jealous, lol

Different shades of bosemani rainbows might look nice, or live bearers? Cld be a little pocket money maker if the last LFS has gone? I've seen some nice tetra-type tanks on YouTube.

If u don't mind lots of small fish, a big ol' swarm of lampeyes and a herd of Cory cats could look cool?

I'm so jealous, lol

I was pondering turning one into a pocket change maker. Maybe even grow plants to sell here and there.

Back
Top Bottom