2 algae kind problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hyrules

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

I seem to have 2 type of algae in my aquarium. One is a green one very hard to remove sticking to the windows of my tank. it come in little round spots. The other one form between the window and the substrate ( small rocks in my case ) I was wondering if any of you had any tips. Note that my pleco doesn't eat the first kind of algae. But will eat the second one if i remove my substrat.

thanks.

Check out this site, which is great for information on algae. If it's a glass tank, sliding a razor blade down the glass will get most of this off. There are plastic scrapers you can use if you have an acrylic tank.

If you're getting a lot of algae, try cutting back the light the tank receives, and also cut back on feedings a bit. Algae results from excess nutrients and lighting.

thanks alot. I might indeed overfeed my fish. My tank is tempered glass as it's 75 gal. I`ll get a cheap plastic razor and dismantle it for the blade.

I know that i have Black-Beard Algae which is quite hard to get rid of.
and i think it's Green Spot algae ( on the windows ) which is the second one. You know after reading both are related to overfeeding. But i somehow lack the knowledge at this point. How would you know how much food you shoud give a fish ? also is a co2 generator practical for a freshwater non planted tank ?

I find its a lot easier to just but straight razor blades from the paint department at most home improvement stores, I bought some for when I resealed my tank and it was like 2 bucks for 50 of em. Just my experience though.

Hyrules said:
thanks alot. I might indeed overfeed my fish. My tank is tempered glass as it's 75 gal. I`ll get a cheap plastic razor and dismantle it for the blade.

I know that i have Black-Beard Algae which is quite hard to get rid of.
and i think it's Green Spot algae ( on the windows ) which is the second one. You know after reading both are related to overfeeding. But i somehow lack the knowledge at this point. How would you know how much food you shoud give a fish ? also is a co2 generator practical for a freshwater non planted tank ?

I second the razor blades from a paint department. That's what I use.

As far as feeding goes, just what the fish can fully eat within about two minutes, once a day. I skip a day once a week as well, normally on a weekend when I'm out anyway.

It will help I believe. My Gouramis are pigs and will eat anytime of the day. They do just fine with their single, daily feeding, and they still have a nice roundness to them.

Back
Top Bottom