2 GBR pairs in 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rivers2k

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have 2 German blue ram pairs in a 75 gallon. I had 1 pair and they were doing great then came across a second with unbelievable coloring. I was told 1 pair for a 30 gallon so I assumed 2 pair would be fine in a 75 gallon.

Both pairs have been in the tank together for 2 weeks now and they are both fighting. I do find it interesting how the pairs work together against the other pair but I would rather them not be combating all the time. it is mostly chasinf there is no fin damage. The original pair is a little smaller and they seem to have lost out on their territory.

Anyone ever have two pairs in a tank before? Anyway of making this work or should I get rid of one of the pairs?

I have ever had two pairs of GBRs, but I would wait a little longer. Two weeks isn't much time, they might behave better in a time. You should try to get as much decor on the bottom/middle of the tank so there is more "territories" and to block any sightlines.

75g is tons off room for 2 pairs and more. Just let them settle, they will eventually find there own areas and aggression should reduce. You will still get the odd bit of chasing and fighting, but its normal.

It might work if you really hardscape the tank. You have to limit the pair's line of sight as much as possible. But even then, all hell will break loose when one pair decides to breed.

David

So more landscaping that I can do. Does anyone know if I add another pair would that cut down on the fighting since there are more fish to focus on (same idea as African cichled tanks) or would that escalate the problem?

Please let me know if you have had experience with this? Not trying to sound rude I have had tanks for a very long time and I have my theories but would really like to hear some first hand experience. Thank you :)

I have kept up to 11 GBR's in a 220g 100% planted while they were all young. But as pairs matured the aggression increased. I now have 2 pairs in the 220g and they still have aggression issues even with all that space and plants. Personally I've always found my rams, especially pairs, get more aggressive with age. So IMO I would not add another pair but that's just me.

As usual I agree with Rivercats, old males tend to get really grumpy. I had a complete psycho old male long fin type who had to live out his last few months with just Tetra as company as he would attack anything that moved, though this is extreme for Rams. Why don't you add some different Dwarfs or slightly larger Cichlids like Bolivian Rams, Festivum's, Laetacara or Keyholes etc.

I think I am going to try and see if the LFS will take back my second pair of Rams. I rearranged everything and added a bunch of plants and the fighting is still going on. The original male is now even picking on his female.

Thank you all for your advice it is much appreciated.

I know this is a little late but I have kept 2 pairs of gbrs in a 55 gallon. They both spawned about once or twice a month and they both defended their spawns. For them, line of sight is not as big as a well-defined territory. I had two pieces of bogwood, one on each side of the 4' aquarium, and each pair picked a side. To cut down on fighting from the angelfish that I had in there before the rams, I put a rock in the middle of the sand bank in the front of the aquarium. It cut sightlines pretty effectively. But also, be careful where you feed them. If all the food goes to one territory, then the other rams will be forced to venture in and fight for food. My tank was smaller than yours, and aside from the odd quarrel there wasn't much fighting once they got settled in. But another issue could be that you put another pair into an already established tank. Try rearranging the decor so that each pair has an equal chance at staking out a territory.

I know this is a little late but I have kept 2 pairs of gbrs in a 55 gallon. They both spawned about once or twice a month and they both defended their spawns. For them, line of sight is not as big as a well-defined territory. I had two pieces of bogwood, one on each side of the 4' aquarium, and each pair picked a side. To cut down on fighting from the angelfish that I had in there before the rams, I put a rock in the middle of the sand bank in the front of the aquarium. It cut sightlines pretty effectively. But also, be careful where you feed them. If all the food goes to one territory, then the other rams will be forced to venture in and fight for food. My tank was smaller than yours, and aside from the odd quarrel there wasn't much fighting once they got settled in. But another issue could be that you put another pair into an already established tank. Try rearranging the decor so that each pair has an equal chance at staking out a territory.

Thank you. You aren't to late I am still determined to make this work.

I rearranged the decor when I put the second pair in and I also added a bunch of plants recently. The fighting is settling down a bit they have taken up territories in opposite sides of the tank but if they get near each other they do there little ram face off.

I have been careful to feed in both sides of the tank. I hope with more time they are settling down. My original male is on guard against everyone now (he was never the fight instigator) He doesn't pal around with his female as much as he used to and she looks stressed. I hope things settle down soon.

Maybe I should remove the plants from the middle and put them on one side or the other to make distinct territories.

Because if aggression is active and there is no place to go that the aggressor/s can't see them the aggression continues, often non stop. Same with Angels.

Back
Top Bottom