2 new 10 gallon tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolffish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have recently aquired 2 new 10 gallon tanks, one of them is going to be home to my sun cat fish and a pacu. Hopefully they will grow up together and as they grow we will upgrade. The other one will most likly be for endlers livebearers. Yes i know they breed fast so i am only getting one male and 2 females. Hopfully they will populate the tank on their own and any extra i will give back to the store. Just wondering what you opinions are. All are apreciated. Also i was thinking about getting another 10 gallon just for guppies, you know and let it populate the tank itself.

The pacu will get HUGE and when i say this i mean HUGE!!!!!! the pacu will need something ALOT bigger then a ten gal. What kind of catfish? the endlers will repopulate very fast so keep an eye on that go for the guppies though

i would look up euthanasia for the pacu.....

a 10 gallon with a few guppies is stocked on its own. wont take any time before its over crowded. maybe just get males.

The sun cat will grow to over eight inches, maybe a foot. And as the others said the Pacu will be massive. I've seen some at three feet.

If you plan on "populating" a 10 gal you will be practically donating eveything back to the LFS in no time. No need to buy another 10 gal as the cat and pacu should be upgraded ASAP and you could use that one for male guppies.

Agreed, take the pacu and cat back IMMEDIATELY. My friend has a pacu in his 46 gallon and that is definitely way too small for them. I don't know why LFS's insist on selling them. Most of them I'm sure are going to inexperienced, un-accommodating aquarists who don't realize the size that they can get.

I sincerely hope that you haven't purchased the pacu and sun cat yet as you absolutely without a doubt don't currently have the means to properly take care of them with the tanks you have.

I don't mean to be so blunt but I'm hoping that it really slams home the point that we are all trying to make.

My dad put two Pacu's in his 55 gallon. Within a few months they were long enough that when facing the front of the tank their mouth would touch the front and their tail would touch the back. Not only that, but these things have some girth to them, they are massive fish and get bigger every time I go back to visit. I can tell you that even a 55 gallon is way too small for a pacu (especially two), and now my dad is searching for a way to get rid of them without just killing them. (On a side note, I was at petco with my dad and his girlfriend last week and she just about left with 2 silver tipped sharks to add to the tank, we had to practically drag her out of there :lol!:)

Trust me, you don't want a pacu in your 10 gallon tank. If they grow as big and as fast as my dads did within a couple months they probably won't even be able to move in a 10 gallon.

What I'd suggest is getting that 250 gallon that Jason is talking about. :p Pacus are really cool, having a 250 gallon with pacus would be awesome. lol

*face palms self* sorry for all the comotion about the pacu i dont have one yet but i do have the sun cat fish (3 inches). The pacu was just a thought but since they seem to get really big i will probably just stick with the cat fish(i know they grow to about 18 inches will probably give it away when it gets too large). PS yes i know the guppies and endlers livebearers will breed fast, maybe i will get a divider or sumthing. And since i still have a 10 gallon tank left my dad wants to make it onto a invertabrate tank.

I have a seggusting about the sun catfish and that tank they are heated (hopefully) so you could put some barbs in there like the cherry barb or the gold barb the small ones but dont go over board but do add atleast six. Or tetras okay i like the idea of a divider o just dont get female guppies or the other fish. No females no pleasure for the males (Sorry guys but yeah)

I would suggest getting rid of the cat fish now. You will get extremely attached to that fish (if you're like the other aquarists out there) and it will be nearly impossible to get rid of it. Especially with a fish that large it becomes more of a family pet than just another fish in your tank. If you have the will power to be able to do that when the time comes, then more power to you.

lol i dont have the tanks set up yet but they will have heaters. Unfortinetly i have had the cat fish for a while(got him/her at 2 inches, its now at 3 and going strong) ,named him and every thing, but i do have a friend who already has a giant cat fish and hopfully he will be able to take it. i will probably make one of the 10 gallons into an inertebrate tank and the other just for endlers livebearers(with a divider). i will start out with 1male and 2 females, let them breed once and then separate them. How do you think it will go?

Thanks! maybe ill put pics up when i have them running and every thing.

Pacu's will not be comfortable in anything under a 500g and even that is pushing it for an adult.

The suncat will work in a 75g. Are the 10g tanks the only one's you have?

Back
Top Bottom