2 part dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khmer86

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, I just recently purchased ME coral supplements for calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium. My question is have anyone tried this or bulk reef supply supplements and what is the comparison between these two. Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I started years ago using the two part liquids sold ($$) then graduated to using raw chemicals from BRS for the past ten years. But then I found you can buy the same high grade bulk chemicals from a million sources for pennies.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you need to dose that stuff. Are you getting low readings on those. Never dose unless you can test for it.

Yes I have the red sea pro test kit that tests for calcium, alk, and magnesium. I firmly do believe to only add to what you can test lol. My calcium is reading 380 to 400 and even with 20 gallon water change on my 75 reef I still couldn't get calcium to go over 400. Alkalinity is at 8.4dkh and magnesium is at 1380

I may have to purchase the refill kit since my test kit are about to expire in a few more weeks so maybe my test kit is not accurately reading the water parameter??

I also think 400 is fine but considering I started to get sps corals I may need to bump it up soon, only sps I have currently are montipora cap about 2 inch diameter and a birds nest frag, then I have 2 frogspawn lps coral.

If your growing calcareous algaes (pink) then your calcium levels are good. I have found their presence a good indicator for stoney corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a great point greg, but lately after seeing numerous asterina starfish I haven't seen much of pink algae growing anymore but I have been doing more water changes lately so hopefully it'll start growing again. Thanks, that is a good advice to point out :)

Back
Top Bottom