20 Gal 70L Tank Stocking Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I'm very excited to be starting up my first tropical fresh water aquarium.
Currently finishing a fish-less cycle and would appreciate suggestions for stock.

I want fish that would be happy with the conditions I have:
The temperature in the tank goes to 28-29°C, 82-84°F in the summer.
(Can't cool it down as I go to work during the day)
Tank capacity is 70L; with decorations and sand substrate, the water is around 60L.
I haven't tested for water hardness, is this important? :fish2:
It's a planted tank and hope to continue adding till I get a jungle style aquarium. There's also driftwood that's releasing tannins.
Our tap water pH is 7.8 and the tank water is also a steady 7.6-7.8. I would prefer not to meddle with chemicals to adjust pH (is it OK to use pH adjusters?)

I don't mind an aggressive or peaceful community.
As a beginner, I prefer easy care fish. But if there is a super awesome fish then I can compromise.

That said I was thinking a group of cories, a school of cherry barbs and dwarf gouramis.
Or an active schooling tank, something like tiger barbs but smaller.

Appreciate your input :thanks:

Sorry for double posting.

I did a lot of research for the following decisions:
(based on compatible environment and available fish)

Sterbai Corydoras
Harlequin Rasboras
Bolivian or Kribensis Ram

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! We'll be glad to help you!

First off, do you know what cycling a tank is? If not, there are 2 ways to do it: fish in or fish less. The cycle is where the filter establishes a beneficial bacteria (BB) colony large enough to break down nitrite and ammonia and convert it to nitrates, which plants absorb. This is one of the reasons we do water changes. I recommend doing it fish less, doesn't put any stress on fish and in fish in cycling fish can die quite easily. If fish in is done right (lots of water changes daily, feeding daily, checking levels etc) the fish will survive. Do some research if you don't already know what cycling is :)

Now, an important factor: Is the tank a 20 long or 20 high? A 20 long is called a long because it is longer than it is high. And vice versa with the high. This can play a big role in stocking, for example you could put an angelfish in a 20 high because it's tall enough for them to spread their fins, but you couldn't put one in a 20 long because it is too short. Then there are fish that are better suited for longer tanks because they need more horizontal swimming space, like zebra danios or tetras. A 20 gallon regardless is a good beginner tank. Easy to maintain consistent water levels and qualities in larger tanks.

Some equipment you need to have to start off with:

Heater (if going tropical)
Filter (What kind do you have?)
Freshwater Liquid Test kit (Recommend the API one if you don't already have one)
Thermometer
Lights (if you want to see the fish :lol: )

Just some important stuff to have. Your filter should be big enough to turn over the water at least 2x in an hour. Heater should be able to heat up to at least 85 degrees. I don't suggest getting a heater that you can't adjust, adjustable ones are easier. For tropical fish you'll want warmer water anyways.

Finally, onto stocking!

There are lots of bottom feeders, some of the most popular being cories, kuhli loaches, shrimp (depends on what else is in the tank) and snails. I suggest either a big group (6-7) of either cries or kuhli loaches in this tank. Loaches have lots of personality and get a bit bigger than cories. As a "centerpiece" fish, you could have a Bolivian ram or the Krib as you mentioned. Bolivian rams do get quite large, so I don't know how a pair would do in here without beating up the other tank mates. I have a breeding pair of GBR's in my 16, and don't think I would add anything else with them. There are lots of other cool fish out there that don't get big and you could have as the main focus of the tank. If you still want to do a school of fish, you could just replace the centerpiece fish with just a bigger number of schooling fish. The more, the merrier. There are some top dwelling fish that we don't see often in the hobby, the most common of the uncommon (confusion :ROFLMAO: ) being hatchetfish. Marbled and silver hatchetfish are the smallest and do require some numbers in a school to be happy. They are "flying fish" so they need a hood on the tank with no gaps or you'll find dried up fish around the tank.

Let us know what you think, what fish you like, and how many of each. This cool website (Aqadvisor) helps you stock fish and figure out how to stock your tank. If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Wow Nils,

Very informative and helpful thank you!

Yes I am finishing my fishless cycle and do have all the equipment you mentioned :)

It's a 70L long, I guess the cichlids would need more space than my current setup.
I'm not against doing a bigger school, haha hatchetfish are funny little things aren't they?

Using AqAdvisor I'm able to stock 7x C.Sterbai and 9x R.Harlequins
And yes they did advise against a ram as they may outgrow my tank.

A bolivian might get too big for your tank, but there are always German Blue rams that do stay a bit smaller. They are harder to care for and require a good water quality + an established tank so I'd recommend staying away from them for a while.

I'd shoot for the bigger school of fish in the middle, some cool bottom dwellers and then the top dwellers. Or if you still want a centerpiece fish eliminate some of the schooling fish numbers. Glad I helped, let us know what you decide to do!

I definitely want the 7x R.Harlequins,
gone for some smaller Tail Spot Corys to get a larger group of 6.
That leaves me at about 65% stock. :cool:

Hatchetfish are jumpers aren't they? I like how they would add action to the top of the tank. The R.Harlequins are mids? :fish1:

Possibly something like:
AquStockImage.php

AquStockImage.php

Here's what I have planned so far. I'm not sure if my LFS have the hatchetfish, I'm pretty sure they can be ordered in.

I understand that fish feel more secure in larger groups. And that larger groups make happier fish? I did want the harlequins to be the biggest school.

Back
Top Bottom