20 gal to bigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toddman19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I have a 20 gallon long tank. I have One albino Oscar(about 8" long if not more) and a Placo(about the same size as the Oscar) in there right now, I had 5 Tiger barbs, 2 rainbow sharks, and 2 other "catsharks" that I bought, but the Oscar had other plans for them. THe oscar is just plain out way too big for the tank now, and I feel bad for him that he has to swim around in a small tank. I want to go to a 120ish gallon, I found a 5'x2'x18" tank on craigslist, and I was just wondering what a decent set up for that tank would be, cartridge filter? the FX5 is what i've been reading people are using, but I also don't have that much money to dump into a set up right now, and also, I want to implement more fish into the tank, don't want to get a giant tank for 2 fish. Would I be better off keeping the 20gal and growing them in there, and then transitioning them into the bigger one with a divider so the big oscar doesn't eat them? Would I need to get an additional placo for the bigger tank? And lastly, what would be some good suggestions for the fish to pair in the tank? I like the Red Oscars, and the ones that are more colored, instead of albino. I'd like to get 1-2 more of those, and then some sharks, It's kind of pointless to get smaller fish because they just are a waste of $$ :(

That poor Oscar :( 75 gallon is minim for a full grown Oscar imo. Even alone you need to do 2 50% water changes a week to keep good water quality. SunSun and Cascade on Amazon are not as pricy as Fluval.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427667058.978391.jpg
That's rated for 200 gallons. I use a 1000 rated for 100 gallons on my 75 community planted. Another user on here just set up an Oscar tank and has i believe a 30-40 gallon symp plus a filter.

If you want any tank makes go 100+ gallon tank. Then you have to decide what won't get eaten. Common tankmates: other oscars, Jack Dempsey cichlids, featherfin catfish, rainbow/red tail sharks (full grown).

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

yeah, I had another tank lined up, but then he flaked out so I've been trying to locate one for a good price for a month or so. I was doing every sunday a half water change. but i'll start doing more, thanks for the advice. I just gotta talk to this guy and see when I can go get it, then figure out how to get together the rest of the cash for all the rocks and stuff.

yeah, I had another tank lined up, but then he flaked out so I've been trying to locate one for a good price for a month or so. I was doing every sunday a half water change. but i'll start doing more, thanks for the advice. I just gotta talk to this guy and see when I can go get it, then figure out how to get together the rest of the cash for all the rocks and stuff.

Don't bother with tank decor with oscars. They design the tank not u lol

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yeah I k ow every thing in my tank has been "rearranged" more times than I can count.

Back
Top Bottom