20 Gallon Biotope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceFish42

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I'm working on rescaping several of my tanks, but since the 46 gallon has been postponed, I'm going to just focus on my 20 gallon. Right now it's only my zebra danios, but I'm hoping to turn it into an Indian biotope. I'll keep the danios, and these are my plans for additional/replacement fish and plants.

6 Indian Glassy Fish
2 Dwarf Gouramis (Male/female pair)
Eleocharis
Blyxa Japonica
Ceratopteris
Rotala
Aponogeten
Water Wisteria

Thanks in advance for any advice. If I got this completely wrong, I appreciate kind advice. That's what this forum is for, after all.

Sounds awesome! I love biotopes! You have all of the plants and fish right on. All from the same habitat.

Are you gonna let tannins into the water or presoak wood?
I personally like the natural look. And my fish appreciate it. Especially my glass cats.

The glassy perches seem awesome. Although I've heard they are moderately difficult to care for.

Hopefully you can get them to take flakes!!

I love my fish!!!

How many danios do you have? You might get a little stocked with those fish too.

Try aquadvisor I'm sure you know what it is. Everyone does but it's in the right direction for stocking #s

I love my fish!!!

Thanks! I tried aqadvisor and it said that it was okay, I mostly need to know about compatibility and how to mimic their natural habitat as closely as possible.

Looks good. I have Rotala in my planted tank and it's pretty neat. It looks like my ends are splitting(Y) or sprouting I can't tell. Rotala is a bit more pricy than a lot of other plants from what I have found. I think I paid $18 (I used EBay because it's not sold around here) for 6 good stems of it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I've had 4 Indian glass fish for years! They eat almost anything, and only one has been a bit aggressive. Definitely a great fish for beginners and I highly recommend them.

Wow... I've been doing more research and it seems like I'm going to have to start all over. There are so many different habitats within India that the fish and plants I chose are all from different regions. ? I already have small gravel and danios in there. What region would this be most like? What if I added rasboras?

I did, it's very helpful. I still don't know what specific region though, India is a big country with a huge range of habitats. I really want to get this biotope right.

Do some research on the Kosi River. But not too far south. A place where they are commonly found and look up plant species common to there if you want to go super in depth.

The water is generally clear but shaded partially with vegetation reaching upwards in the lighted section. As well as tree roots and other wood in the shaded side (bank)

They however do not say there. They breed in very slow moving to not moving at all pool and rice patties that get filled during monsoon.

I love my fish!!!

I did some research after seeing this thread because I love the idea of biotopes. I just googled it and found their general distribution. Being Bhutan, Bangladesh, and northern India. From there I further narrowed it to where danio rerio were frequently located. And the name Kosi river came up and it's in the exact same location as the general distribution so I looked up a bunch of articles on the Kosi river and many on the fish. One being the Danio in question. Then I read about their breeding behavior in the wild and that's it!! Lol

They don't like to breed in the fast waters as fry cannot survive. And breeding becomes more difficult.

Just LOTS o diggin

I love my fish!!!

They were once much more prominent further north and south. (Nepal, southern India) but us human like to change things a bit so there habitat has shrunken quite considerably.

However this makes it slightly easier to replicate.

I love my fish!!!

Alright, after lots more research, I'm going for somewhere in northern India, and keeping the Indian glassfish. I'm now also honking of some kind of barbs, because I have kept them before and many species are from that region.

Lol me too.

That sounds like an awesome plan just watch stocking numbers. Might be better to up number rather than species imo.

Obviously your choice though! :)

I love my fish!!!

Maybe leopard danios. But they're very similar to your current ones.

http://www.mpeda.com/aquarium/htmlorna/profile1.htm

Check this out.

I love my fish!!!

Thanks, I did accidentally get one longfin leopard danio from my LFS. I named it "Extraspecialbonusfish." And I'm not sure about that website, because some of those pictures are the wrong species. I don't know what else might be misinformation. Sorry if I seem really stubborn...

Back
Top Bottom