Stocking help for my first tank (20 gallon tropical)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kilojoules

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm sure this is the sort of question you see lots of, but I'm starting my first aquarium and I think I'm doing okay, but I wanted advice on my stocking plans before things go much farther.

My tank is a 20 gallon long, with live plants (not a lot so far as they've yet to fill in, but I think it's fair to call it decently planted) and a fine gravel substrate. It's been cycling for a good several weeks, and I've had a few fish in there for at least the last three weeks with no issues that I can see.

I got my aquarium as part of a kit so the filter is nothing special but I'm hoping to upgrade that very soon.

I'm a bit worried about my stocking plans because my research has taught me that stocking is not a hard and fast rule. I've done lots of research, put my plans into a couple bioload calculators but I thought getting feedback from people here would be much better.

My current plan is this:

Platy x3
Galaxy danio x6
Dwarf chain loach x6
Zebra rasbora x6
Long finned zebra danio x6

The platies and galaxy danios are already in the aquarium. Along with one of the chain loaches. (Recommended to me by an employee at the LFS, who either didn't know or failed to mention that they should be kept in groups. It's my fault for not researching farther before coming home with it though, I did a brief check for size and compatibility without noticing school size. As a result the plan has changed accordingly)

As I mentioned, the bioload calculators suggested this would be fine, but it feels like a bit too much to me. Anything already not in the tank is negotiable, and the one loach could be returned if that would be best, since I just brought him home yesterday. Although I really like the little guy so I'd love to accommodate him instead.

I know this has been a pretty long post so I'll stop rambling. Any help or advice would be super appreciated!

Are your platys all the same gender? You can tell by looking at the anal fin (long and pointed =male rounded =female). If they are 1:2 male to females then expect a ton of babies. If they are all females but were kept in the same tank as males then expect a ton of babies. If they are all male then expect some fighting but if they have enough hiding spots they should be fine.
The danios and rasboras should be fine. Maybe don't get the long finned variety as they could be nipped.
Not sure about the loaches, I've never had then.

The platys are all males. I knew I didn't want babies but wasn't aware about the slight issues that might come with that.

In any case, they've been in there for probably three weeks now and I was worried for the first few days but they seem totally fine at this point. Any chasing seems more like playing as far as I can tell, as they do itt in short bursts and tend to go back and forth. Although I definitely could be wrong about that.

Also, I hadn't considered that the long finned danios might get nipped at. I knew that was a behaviour to look out for but I guess I didn't think their fins were quite long enough. Thanks for pointing that out! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

As long as you don't see the platys teaming up on one particular platy or you see one hiding all the time then you are fine.

Back
Top Bottom