20 Gallon Convict Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robsterlobster9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there!

I currently have a 20 gallon tank cycling water at the moment and I have decided I would like either a pair of convicts or just 2 or 3 female convicts. The dimensions of the tank are L: 60 W: 30 H:46 ... Whether I get a pair of convicts is going to be decided after I've talked to my LFS about buying back offspring etc. as I have heard they reproduce like rabbits. I still need to add rocks and scarves to the tank but ill keep it all updated. It would be great to hear other people opinions on keeping convicts and if there are any other fish that might be suitable for a 20 gallon. :)

Cheers everyone!

image-3405196644.jpg

I have an entire thread on convicts versus bumblebees in a 29g there's alot of info in there! Just an FYI bud,

Thanks hapes Big Tex!

Just called my LFS to see whether they had any Convicts and it looks like they won't be getting any for a while. I am looking online now and have found what sounds like a pretty good and trustworthy mail order fish company. We'll wait and see what happens!

Thanks hapes Big Tex!

Just called my LFS to see whether they had any Convicts and it looks like they won't be getting any for a while. I am looking online now and have found what sounds like a pretty good and trustworthy mail order fish company. We'll wait and see what happens!

Davesfish.com is pretty good for online purchases he takes PayPal as well, and the shipping isn't outrageous I think it's $18 overnight and the fish are very reasonably priced.

Convicts are usually readily available anyway and are super cheap cuz of the reproduction. Petsmart usually runs $2.50 sales on them all the time by me.

20 gallon tank is quite small for them too.. If it was a 20L it would probably work since it's the same width as a 29 I think, just not the same height.

Convicts are usually readily available anyway and are super cheap cuz of the reproduction. Petsmart usually runs $2.50 sales on them all the time by me.

20 gallon tank is quite small for them too.. If it was a 20L it would probably work since it's the same width as a 29 I think, just not the same height.

Agreed I tried it before it just doesn't work out in the long run in a 20 long it would work. But in a 20 high I would just do 1 con.

I have 29g tank cycling waiting for them. I'll be getting a pair and that's all I have and a crayfish for bottom feeding. I think my 29g is gonna be just enough room for them.

A 20L is only a 5 gallon tank, way too small for convicts. Since they only get to be 5-7 inches at full grown, tank width isn't a huge problem.

If you get a breeding pair a 20 gallon would be too small to grow out your fry big enough to sell to your local LFS in my opinion.

A 20L is only a 5 gallon tank, way too small for convicts. Since they only get to be 5-7 inches at full grown, tank width isn't a huge problem.

If you get a breeding pair a 20 gallon would be too small to grow out your fry big enough to sell to your local LFS in my opinion.

How do you go about selling back to your lfs..?

At my lfs I just call them and ask if they would be interested in taking some fish and they usually just pay me the like stock price not the price they sell them for.

How do you go about selling back to your lfs..?

My local LFS won't take convicts cause they're so common and breed readily. But if yours has none then they just might. They will want the fry to be a certain size before they'll take them and will usually give you store credit per fish.

My local LFS won't take convicts cause they're so common and breed readily. But if yours has none then they just might. They will want the fry to be a certain size before they'll take them and will usually give you store credit per fish.

****, well ill give that a try, what is a recommended fry tank size..?

Most people use a 40 gallon. Lots of water changes in your future! I've stopped growing mine out now cause nobody will take them. They will literally breed over and over. You'll have a lot of fry eventually. Mine just become snacks for the oscars!

Thanks everyone for the info! Would it be possible to have 2 females in a 20 gallon at all that way you don't have to worry about any breeding happening?

I just don't think the 20 high has enough floor space for 2 cons you could probably do a pair of dwarf cichlids instead of cons.

Thanks everyone for the info! Would it be possible to have 2 females in a 20 gallon at all that way you don't have to worry about any breeding happening?

a 20 is a little tight, its ok for a bredding pair in a 29g thats what im doing, can you upgrade tank? if you really want a pair on convicts try to search the garage sales and craigslist for a good deal, if not id stick to cold water community fish.

a 20 is a little tight, its ok for a bredding pair in a 29g thats what im doing, can you upgrade tank? if you really want a pair on convicts try to search the garage sales and craigslist for a good deal, if not id stick to cold water community fish.

I do agree now that I have done some more research, I would be able upgrade tanks around Christmas time, so could I put some juveniles in a 20 gallon and then move them into a 3ft 40 gallon ? Just thinking of some options!

I will check Craigslist and a couple of other second hand sites as well to see if there are any bigger tanks I can get :)

The tank I have now used to be my brothers until he neglected it so now it's mine and I want to give it a nice fresh start!

Back
Top Bottom