20 gallon dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ematthews

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my brother has a cycled tank that he wants to use for dwarf cichlids. Our tap is pretty high (at least 8), and he was looking for some dwarfs that would do well in those conditions. Any ideas?

After talking with him more about fish he seems to like the idea of a sorta semi-aggressive tank with zebra Danios, tiger barbs, cherry barbs etc. He's sure that he wants cherry barbs and tiger barbs if he does this tank but the rest is up for discussion. Anything?

Well you have a choice. Te tiger barbs would be best left out. But if e loves them, do a species tank, as they will be very nippy. The cherry barbs and zebra danios, on the other hand, are very peaceful. You could do
6 cherry barbs
6 zebra danios
2 German blue rams

Well you have a choice. Te tiger barbs would be best left out. But if e loves them, do a species tank, as they will be very nippy. The cherry barbs and zebra danios, on the other hand, are very peaceful. You could do
6 cherry barbs
6 zebra danios
2 German blue rams

So German blue rams do well in high Ph?

You would be better off with some African dwarf. Some like higher Ph.

GBRs prefer soft water at 6 pH. I would reccomend apistogramma agasizzi "triple red". Likes high pH.

Nice! I really like apistos. By the way what does gbr stand for?

Edit: nvm it stands for german blue ram lol

GBRs prefer soft water at 6 pH. I would reccomend apistogramma agasizzi "triple red". Likes high pH.

Apistogramma agassizii do not like high Ph. They like more acidic water. Mine are at 6.7 Ph. if you have high Ph go with kribs they are a small African species.

Apistogramma agassizii do not like high Ph. They like more acidic water. Mine are at 6.7 Ph. if you have high Ph go with kribs they are a small African species.

Apistos are African dwarf cichlids also... I thought apistos liked high pH. Ill check.
Edit- huh they are South American. Anyway, just because a fish prefers lower pH, doesn't mean it needs it.

With a very high oh kribensis would be a better bet. However if your just over 7 or whatever you can keep pretty much anything. Fish today are likely never kept in their natural water conditions and have since adapted since most are born into it. Unless you are buying a really expensive wild caught don't worry about ph to much.

With a very high oh kribensis would be a better bet. However if your just over 7 or whatever you can keep pretty much anything. Fish today are likely never kept in their natural water conditions and have since adapted since most are born into it. Unless you are buying a really expensive wild caught don't worry about ph to much.

Ok I'll have to check out the kribs because my Ph is pretty high

Kribs are a west African riverine species. Their native water varies greatly, from very acidic, to alkaline...they are NOT rift lake cichlids and do NOT require high pH...not to mention even most wild caught fish (most, not all) will still be able to adapt to a wide range of pH levels. Most captive bred fish are raised in neutral waters and are able to adapt very well to other pH levels

Kribs are a west African riverine species. Their native water varies greatly, from very acidic, to alkaline...they are NOT rift lake cichlids and do NOT require high pH...not to mention even most wild caught fish (most, not all) will still be able to adapt to a wide range of pH levels. Most captive bred fish are raised in neutral waters and are able to adapt very well to other pH levels

I agree but 8.4 that's ridiculous

I agree but 8.4 that's ridiculous

surprisingly, my zebra Danios, Cory cats, and black phantom tetras have done great in it. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the guy at petco messed up the reading. I'm checking again today so ill give an update when I do.

I have a wild caught dicrossus maculatus in my tank that sits at an 8.4 (can't seem to lower it without chemicals)...this is a fish from 4.0 waters. Over a year with no issues...they will adapt...

Back
Top Bottom