20 gallon dwarf cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will they breed (and have the eggs hatch)? Probably not. Will they survive and even thrive? Yes.

I keep a variety of dwarf cichlids in 7.0. From kribs to rams and I have had a few spawns. They can adapt and thrive but 8.4+ I have no experience dealing with a ph of that high

Multies, the nickname of [neo]lamprologus multifasciatus (they've been classified in both genera) are a species of shell dweller from lake Tanganyika, one of the three main rift lakes in eastern Africa. Considered to be one of, if not the, smallest species of cichlids, these little guys do NOT tolerate other fish, and will fin nip and chase fish to death. They require she's to live in, in the wild naturally calling shells of the snail genus neothauma "home". They sleep, defend and even spawn in these shells.

Overall, these need either a Tanganyikan only species tank of larger size, or a species only tank. A colony of about 10 (1 per 2 gallons) works well. They reproduce like rabbits and have become quite common, making their fry all but worthless so have a place to put fry once they overpopulate the tank.

I own these and love them, however, if you're looking for nice colors, super active fish, and a variety of species, then forget these. They are most fascinating for their aggressive behavior in such a small package, as well as amazing parenting skills, social behavior, and awesome digging capabilites

Apistos are African dwarf cichlids also... I thought apistos liked high pH. Ill check.
Edit- huh they are South American. Anyway, just because a fish prefers lower pH, doesn't mean it needs it.

Apistos are not African they are south American.

Multies, the nickname of [neo]lamprologus multifasciatus (they've been classified in both genera) are a species of shell dweller from lake Tanganyika, one of the three main rift lakes in eastern Africa. Considered to be one of, if not the, smallest species of cichlids, these little guys do NOT tolerate other fish, and will fin nip and chase fish to death. They require she's to live in, in the wild naturally calling shells of the snail genus neothauma "home". They sleep, defend and even spawn in these shells.

Overall, these need either a Tanganyikan only species tank of larger size, or a species only tank. A colony of about 10 (1 per 2 gallons) works well. They reproduce like rabbits and have become quite common, making their fry all but worthless so have a place to put fry once they overpopulate the tank.

I own these and love them, however, if you're looking for nice colors, super active fish, and a variety of species, then forget these. They are most fascinating for their aggressive behavior in such a small package, as well as amazing parenting skills, social behavior, and awesome digging capabilites

Alright I'll have to talk to my brother.

Back
Top Bottom