20 Gallon Long Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmg05005

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'd like to set-up an Amazon community tank, here's what I'm thinking:

12 Neon tetra
6 Leopard cories
6 Otos

Tank is a 20 gallon long.

What do you all think? Would the Otos be happy in a smaller group of 4, or is 6 a minimum size school for them? Thank you for your responses.

I've got 4 otos in a 10 gallon and these seem happy in a group of 4. Though one of them seems to be a loner and keep to himself till the lights go off. I'm wondering though if 6 otos and 6 cories might not feel a little crowded on the bottom..maybe not in a long tank.

20 gallon long has a nice foot for 6 cories. Same as 29 gallon (+/- an inch I think) Also otos generally stay on plants/wood/glass in my tanks, not the bottom so much. So I think it would be ok :) I only have 4 corys, and they do fine, but I think 6 would be better.

Stocking wise though, does this seem ok? I know its quite a lot of fish for a 20 gallon, but they seem to me to have lighter bioloads.

Anyone want to weigh in on whether this is overstocked?

I'd say you're fine. I wouldn't add much more though. If you're worried just test your water parameters once in a while. If they are good, your good. I think with where each of those species swims, they will have enough swim space.

That sounds like a good stock although I'm not 100% sure on 6 otos. They rely on mature tanks with biofilm and algae and a 20L might have a tough time sustaining 6 in the long term. With that said I'd personally take cardinals over neons and you'd prob still have room for a ram or apisto if your filtration is good.

The stocking is fine but I would advise against those neon tetras. I've had such bad luck with them lately that I would QT them for a month if you are set on getting them.

I love my neons, I had a bad batch from petco where they all just kept dying, but once I switched to my LFS I didn't have problems except the occasional bad transfer. My school is 20 large.

Thank you all for the input.

I've never had any issues with the neons that I've bought around here, so I'll stick with them.

Just to play it safe, I'm going to stock it with:

10 neons
6 leopard cories
4 otos

Back
Top Bottom