20 gallon overstock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added 3 more platies (about 3 month old fry) to my 20 gallon.

In addition to the new 3, tanks has
2 other platies
1 female dalmation Molly
1male guppy
4 julii cories
3 bleeding heart tetras

With the 3 additions, it brings the total to 14.

Problem is I have a 5'gallon (used to be a QT) that has been housing fry. One batch was 10 and a later batch also 10. Before the fry got big, the 5'gallon served its purpose.

I also have a 14 gallon tank that is home to 4 glowlight tetras. I tried moving 3 platies into that tank about 2 weeks ago, but all the platy fry bloated up and I moved them back to the 5 gallon and did epsom salt baths to reduce the swelling. Eventually they returned to normal.

I was hoping to move a different 4 platies to the 14 gallon, but am worried about bloating.

Strangely, all the water reading for the 3'tanks are the same so I am not sure why they bloated.

If I can move the 4, it will leave me with 13 fry - mostly very small. I have a brand new baby that I would like to put into the 5 gallon, but it is so tiny that she'd be eaten if I don't move the big guys.

Am I playing with fire?

Never mind. After a few hours, I went to check on the 3 and two of their fins were torn and the third was hiding. I returned them to their 5 gallon and will have to figure something else out because they seem to love the 5 gallon which they are outgrowing.

Back
Top Bottom