20 Gallon Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
My first planted tank. Would love your opinions and feedback. I know it's all green. I do want to inject some color in there but i wanted to wait until I upgraded my lights which I have now.

What do you all suggest to add some color. I have been trimming some plants to add to my 125.

image-3472650927.jpg

Her is the 125 still cycling and trying to get it clear. I have some plants and wood in it. I am soaking some other pieces of wood to add later.

image-3603929439.jpg

image-4227732625.jpg

The Ray 2 is good.. Probably at least medium to high light plants.. You going to start injecting co2 (pressurized or DIY)? It would make the world of difference.

You can consider some Alternanthera reineckii, ludwigia sp. Red, ludwigia glandulosa, and/or some rotala species like colorata or macrandra.

What ferts are you using?

The Ray 2 is good.. Probably at least medium to high light plants.. You going to start injecting co2 (pressurized or DIY)? It would make the world of difference.

You can consider some Alternanthera reineckii, ludwigia sp. Red, ludwigia glandulosa, and/or some rotala species like colorata or macrandra.

What ferts are you using?

Yea i like the finnex ray 2. it made a world of difference with my plants. as soon as i put it on the tank my plants started really growing.

I was doing a DIY co2 but now i am planning on injecting the co2 using a tank and a regulator. I want something I can set and not have to worry about it turning to alcohol.

I am using seachem tablets and flourish. Should I be using anything else? Thanks for the suggestions on the plants. I will check them out.

Yeah I like the Ray 2 too. I have two of them on two of my tanks, both running pressurized co2. Aquatek makes a decent regulator for the price. I'm using the mini regulator for paintball. If you buy an Aquatek, compare the regulator between Amazon.com vs. EBay. Usually in their eBay store they give you extra stuff like free co2 tubing... both places you get a bubble counter with check valve. You just need to get the co2 tank and a diffuser.

As for ferts, once your current supply runs out, you should consider switching to dry ferts. It's much more economical and very effective. I dose via the PPS-Pro method using GLA dry ferts (micro & macro nutrients).

This one here:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/pps-pro-fertilizer-package.html

It's pretty easy with a little research..

Yeah I like the Ray 2 too. I have two of them on two of my tanks, both running pressurized co2. Aquatek makes a decent regulator for the price. I'm using the mini regulator for paintball. If you buy an Aquatek, compare the regulator between Amazon.com vs. EBay. Usually in their eBay store they give you extra stuff like free co2 tubing... both places you get a bubble counter with check valve. You just need to get the co2 tank and a diffuser.

As for ferts, once your current supply runs out, you should consider switching to dry ferts. It's much more economical and very effective. I dose via the PPS-Pro method using GLA dry ferts (micro & macro nutrients).

This one here:
http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/pps-pro-fertilizer-package.html

It's pretty easy with a little research..

I ordered the Aquatek mini regulator from ebay and a Paintball tank from amazon. Cant wait to get them. What diffuser do you use?

Thanks for the info on the ferts. I will get that when my stuff runs out.

I came home yesterday from work and found that my 20 gal has a case of ick. I started treatment last night. Hopefully my fish will be ok.

What size tanks do you have?

They're mostly nano planted tanks with the exception of a 26g bow front as my largest.

Here's the 26g:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

And my 6g:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/march-2013-totm-brian_nano12gs-6-gallon-planted-nano-tank/

As for a diffuser, I think a simple ceramic diffuser should be fine. I use the Fluval one just fine. The atomic diffusers are good too.
You should also get a co2 drop checker with some 4dkh reference solution. That way you'll get a visual to indicate if you're getting enough co2 dissolve in the water.

They're mostly nano planted tanks with the exception of a 26g bow front as my largest.

Here's the 26g:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...irst-dutch-inspired-scape-journal-235192.html

And my 6g:
March 2013 TOTM: Brian_Nano12g's 6 Gallon Planted Nano - Aquarium Advice

As for a diffuser, I think a simple ceramic diffuser should be fine. I use the Fluval one just fine. The atomic diffusers are good too.
You should also get a co2 drop checker with some 4dkh reference solution. That way you'll get a visual to indicate if you're getting enough co2 dissolve in the water.

Nice tanks. I really love the branch where did you get it from? I ordered the drop checker today. I have a glass diffuser but I am having trouble keeping the ceramic disk clean. I am thinking of getting a inline diffuser because I am going to put a fluval canister filter on my 20 gal. and I hear they work really well with the canister filters. I am just not sure how to set it up, I hope it has good directions.

The branch is called manzanita. I got it locally but you can get them online too. I have two Fluval canisters too. I have the 106 and 306. Great filters.

The inline diffusers are nice and have the potential to reduce the amount of co2 you use due to the higher rate of co2 getting dissolved efficiently.

I wonder how it can connect in the Fluval ribbed hoses? You might have to swap the hoses to vinyl ones?

The branch is called manzanita. I got it locally but you can get them online too. I have two Fluval canisters too. I have the 106 and 306. Great filters.

The inline diffusers are nice and have the potential to reduce the amount of co2 you use due to the higher rate of co2 getting dissolved efficiently.

I wonder how it can connect in the Fluval ribbed hoses? You might have to swap the hoses to vinyl ones?

Yeah I love the fluval canisters also. I have two of the 205 sitting hear that i used on some older tanks that I got rid of when I bought my 125. Sso I am going to put one of them to use on my 20 gallon.

I was wondering how that would work with the ribbed hoses. I may have to swap it out for the rubber ones. I will wait and see what the directions say.

Lighting Question for the 125 gal.

I have 2 36" T5 HO fixtures on my 125 gal. one bulb is a pink and the other is white in both fixtures. Do you all think that will be good enough for my plants or should I upgrade?

Im really not an expert but i believe the pink bulbs are colormax bulbs that are just for color enhancement on fish and plants. You should probably swap those out for Geisemann midday (6,500K) bulbs.

I never had a sump so i wouldn't be the best to answer that one.

You should PM Rivercats, she knows her way around large tanks. Aqua_Chem knows his stuff too.

Im really not an expert but i believe the pink bulbs are colormax bulbs that are just for color enhancement on fish and plants. You should probably swap those out for Geisemann midday (6,500K) bulbs.

I never had a sump so i wouldn't be the best to answer that one.

You should PM Rivercats, she knows her way around large tanks. Aqua_Chem knows his stuff too.

Thanks Brian, I will look into the Geisemann bulbs and contact Rivercats about the sump.

Ok I am redoing my 20 gallon again. Going to make it a shrimp tank. Not so heavily planted. May have some plants to get rid of after I am done. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom