20 gallon stock suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium 308

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just set up my 20 gallon for my kiddo. Want to use real plants and need fish suggestions. Kiddo is only 2 so as long as he gets to feed them and they move he is happy. Gonna just grab an assortment of plants to try. I will be using liquid carbon and I did buy a florescent bulb that was labeled for plants. Id like to get a red tailed shark. Used to have one and liked it. I was thinking about maybe some neon tetras and plattys along with a couple of smaller corys. Suggestions?

I'd go with some neon tetras and male guppies. Don't get the shark because they are really aggressive and will attack and kill tankmates. Cardinal shrimp or kuhli loaches would be nice bottom dwellers.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

+1 with BettaOwner

Neons and male guppies are popular for kids, as they are very colorful and full of action
If you want Cories, sand substrate would be best

Good luck!

My substrate that im using is Flora Max. I figured once the fish get settled I would get an algae eater of some sort. New tank so not any algae yet. I would like some type of bottom feeder but what would be good with my substrate. It is a fine shale looking rock type gravel. I can do guppies. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

With ghosties, it depends on many random factors, some last for a year or two, some just a couple days. And if your going with cories, I would recommend peppereds they are always adventurous and moving around.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neons are really nice fish, but be prepared to do weekly water changes. They're not as forgiving of unhealthy water parameters as Zebra Danios, goldfish, etc. You should swap out the substrate for sand if you want to do any catfish or loaches.

Don't do RT Shark or anything aggressive.

Plan to do weekly water changes anyway. Best for fish. Best for plants.

Flora Max is fine. Start with easy plants. What are the light Specs ?
Wattage ?
Kelvin ?

It should be fine for lowlight easy plants.

Java Ferns
Anubias
Java Moss
Moss Balls
Amazon Swords ( will need Root Tabs)

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan to do weekly water changes anyway. Best for fish. Best for plants.

Flora Max is fine. Start with easy plants. What are the light Specs ?
Wattage ?
Kelvin ?

It should be fine for lowlight easy plants.

Java Ferns
Anubias
Java Moss
Moss Balls
Amazon Swords ( will need Root Tabs)

It is an 18" 15watt bulb. It specifically stated on the box it was designed for aquarium plants.

It is an 18" 15watt bulb. It specifically stated on the box it was designed for aquarium plants.

LOL, probably low-light aquarium plants.

But that's good because Neons don't like bright lighting. Java Fern, most Cryptocoryne species, Staurogyne repens, and Hornwort are all pretty undemanding. These will all do fine in low light and without ferts.

LOL, probably low-light aquarium plants.

But that's good because Neons don't like bright lighting. Java Fern, most Cryptocoryne species, Staurogyne repens, and Hornwort are all pretty undemanding. These will all do fine in low light and without ferts.

Im just trying the idea a live plants in a 20 gallon i already have . My long term plan is to get a 75-100 gallon tank and have all live plants. what kind of lighting is needed have other bright light plants. I will check the kelvins on my current bulb when i get home.

My kiddo really likes the celestial pearl danios, they're small (up to 1 inch) very colorful fish, and she likes to watch shrimp cleaning up the bottom.

My little one, now four, has been drawn less to the colorful fish than the animals with interesting behaviors. He's the quiet, introspective type. The mystery snail is always a favorite, he likes to see if he can find it. Also shrimp and Otocinclus catfish (an excellent algae cleaner, but requires a mature tank and good water conditions). He really wants a frog too, much of the time.

You'll also be surprised by how well a young child can use a pipette to fill a tube to the 5ml mark for water testing!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ya I figured I would do an octo if algae gets to be a problem with my plants. I ended up getting 5 neon tetras and 4 of the petsmart red tetras. Maybe this one was not a good idea but i loved the look of it and they assured me it would be fine. I got a single blue ram. After reading its supposed to be a peaceful ciclid. It has been seen keeping to itself and swimming with the others. The neons and red tetras are all schooling together. Im undecided on a bottom feeder yet. I want a couple of corys but I have flora max rock type substrate and not sand. I looked at shrimp and I just dont know. Years ago I had a blue lobster and he was great but im guessing that the neons are too small to have a lobster around. Any other bottom feeder suggestions.

Otos need to be in groups. Single Otos often waste away. In a 20g you should be able to have 4-5 easy once the tank Matures. You don't have to have visible Algae as they also eat biofilm off the plants and walls.

The Ram might attack Cories in a 20g. Is this a 20g High or Long ?

Otos need to be in groups. Single Otos often waste away. In a 20g you should be able to have 4-5 easy once the tank Matures. You don't have to have visible Algae as they also eat biofilm off the plants and walls.

The Ram might attack Cories in a 20g. Is this a 20g High or Long ?

It is a 20 high.

One ram should be OK. A breeding pair might push the Corys around.

Back
Top Bottom