20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good! Since that looks like a marineland heater thought I'd give some advice, I did a water change recently and I swear the heater wasnt fully submerged for more than 30 seconds I had a watch on, and when I brought my water back from filling the bucket up it was smoking and hissing! So always make sure it's completely submerged or turned off because thatd be really sad if it blew up and killed fish!

Alright!! Thank you! It's a Marineland penguin 150 bio filter, so good eye!!

Hi! I have a question<3 My tank handled the tetras beautifully. No rises so far. The place I buy my fishes is about 45 minutes away. I'm willing to make more than one trip but I would rather not. If the levels stay good and I decide to add the next set on Thursday

Would it hurt the tank to bring home the tetras, snails, ghost shrimp and the Betta on the same day as long as I stay on top of my levels, change the water soon as it needs it and everything?

It could be ok, if you want to do it all in one day, I would do 2 20% water changes a day for probably 4-5 days just to help out the filter while it adjusts to the new load

It could be ok, if you want to do it all in one day, I would do 2 20% water changes a day for probably 4-5 days just to help out the filter while it adjusts to the new load

My fish shop was out of the tetras but, I did get my betta, two snails, and my ghost shrimp. So far everybodies doing good!!! I'll post pictures after they have a bit longer to calm themselves<3

All sounds good. Just keep your temperature warm 78 degrees is perfect for all of them the betta's love 78-80. And another note: add your Betta very last of all. You will have a better chance for everything to work out. Pick a Betta that is not showing you the fighting pose. Keep us updated. Best of luck to you and new adoption.

IMG_8614.jpgIMG_8582.jpgIMG_8581.jpgIMG_8585.jpg

Update! Every body is doing great! No sign of ammonia and my tank is thriving!

What a great addition to a gorgeous tank! Betta is very pretty!

Thank you! He has quite the personality already<3 he loves being the center of attention and eagerly comes to the front of the tank when anyone is nearby

Update! I've changed my mind on glowlights, I'm looking into neons now? How does bumping my school of bloodfins up to 7 and maybe like 7 neons look?

Also, I realized today that my supposed Nerite is a mystery! Which is a shocker! I also added live plants! Planning on fully stocking it with them<3 IMG_8849.jpg

That looks real good. Fish are probably liking that cover of plants. And your mind change on fish sound good too. I'd go with neons over glow fish too. ? your tank is gonna look awesome planted. I've been thinking about do that too. Still reading up on that though. There's alittle more to it with lighting, and Co2. Only thing is, is if fish get sick harder to clean when it's fully planted. And be very careful adding new fish. I got a major out break of ich from a pet store it's not fun to deal with. Just a heads up.

Checking on AQ advisor, it brings my stocking up to 94%

With 8 neons and 7 bloodfins

We lost my yellow mystery today to what I think was old age</3 He was full grown. My water levels are fine. Everything is fine

It's probably fine. I've narrowed it down to old age since he was at max size. It's upsetting but, I'm taking it as a learning experience not to get the larger snails. His name was Gilgamesh</3 and, I have him the best life he could have.

My next question is, should I follow AQ advisor when it comes to shrimp? I won't be overstocked but, with how low their bioload is, their effect on my filter seems unrealistic? I'm thinking of adding 5-7 cherries once my tank is fully planted

It's probably fine. I've narrowed it down to old age since he was at max size. It's upsetting but, I'm taking it as a learning experience not to get the larger snails. His name was Gilgamesh</3 and, I have him the best life he could have.

My next question is, should I follow AQ advisor when it comes to shrimp? I won't be overstocked but, with how low their bioload is, their effect on my filter seems unrealistic? I'm thinking of adding 5-7 cherries once my tank is fully planted
Such little amount of shrimps won't put any load on your tank. But you must make sure you don't have any fish that will go after shrimps. Some fish don't notice them when the lights are on but they do try to eat them after lights go off. Also they need live plants and specially Moss to other dense plant spaces so they feel secure.

Most people say ignore the filtration levels on AQ advisor and just don't the stocking over 150% I've run stuff on there and it seems way too easily stocked

Back
Top Bottom