20 Gallon Stocking List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I thin you're right. It just didn't sit well with me last night when I was putting everything together but I didn't take action.

Figured I'd give an update on my tank. Having some sort of trouble with this algae, looks like super skinny thread (I'm guessing hair algae?). I just pick it out but it keeps coming. I went ahead and stopped dosing ferts, cut back on lighting hours and kicked up my water changes to 50% every 2 to 3 days.

I have read a post (ok, many posts) on algae and how to deal with it. I think the most promising and the method I am considering is the one found at this link:

One-Two Punch

Near as I can tell this is just par for the course. Not everyone has trouble with algae but if things get out of balance algae is there and waiting. Since I don't already have fish (fully cycled now though) I am going to hold off on the fish so that I can treat the tank however I want and only need to be concerned about the plants.

I also can't help but think that having some sort of clean-up crew would help with this. But on the other hand I also can't help but think that I should have this under control before I put anything in the tank.

I'm open to any little nuggets of knowledge ya'll may have. I'm not too concerned but learning is always good. :)

Since I know there were a couple people watching this, I wanted to give a simple update. Feel free to ask any questions if you would like to know more about my tank adventure.

Got the tank cycled now and have added some occupants. Got a few Amano shrimp and a couple mystery snails. Also have a few Pink Danios (color morph of a Zebra Danio, if I'm not mistaken). The Pinks are a temporary occupant and actually belong to my Wife in her tank. But we decided to change out her tank so we're putting a new tank together and getting it all cycled (different filtration system but using old media to help seed).

I had a problem with algae as I had made some severe miscalculations with my fertilizer dosing. So, I had hair algae and about 3 or 4 other types of algae going buck wild in the tank. I decided to use H2O2 to clear it up. I figured since I had no fish in the tank at that time I would go ahead and over do the dose a bit. And by a bit I mean by a lot, if you get my meaning.

The good thing... no algae... but it also wiped out my BBs. No biggie, I learned a few things. First of all I believe I could have saved the BBs had I took the time to remove the filtration media from my tank and change out more of the water (say about 80%) when I did my water change at the end of the treatment. But hey, that's way too much work... right?

The only plant that suffered was the Subwassertang Moss. Anything that was exposed died but I had some that happened to be submerged into the substrate. That seems to be doing fine and I believe it will make a comeback.

I picked up some Tetra Safe Start to see about replenishing the BBs in my tank, seemed to do the trick. Regardless, my BBs are back on track now and things are coming along nicely. I have resumed a normal routine for dosing ferts.

I had another outcropping of algae (although not like before). I decided to cut back on my lighting for a couple days and cut my ferts for 2 days. Not sure if that did the trick or just time but the algae stopped growing and is currently under control. I have since resumed my normal fert dosing routine and believe that I'm on the right track at this point.

I have surface plants growing (like crazy). I have removed about 80% (from about 100% coverage) and in about a week I have 80% coverage again. My only concern about the surface plants is how much light they are taking away from the other plants. I definitely suffered some plant loss due to this but this was at a time I was also trying to get the algae under control. So I'm mostly learning the right balance for this tank.

The reason I want the surface plants are that the fish I want (Forktails) are jumpers and I'm hoping that the surface plants will encourage a no jumping policy. If not, I have a lid I could use, I just don't like it.

Oh, shrimp. I decided to do a shrimp only tank. I have it purchased and am going to be setting it up soon as well. I have a set of lava rocks that I'm building up algae on while I get around to setting it up. I'm also seeding the filter media in my other tank, so hopefully it won't take too long to cycle.

Think that sums it all up in a nutshell. Remember, feel free to ask any questions. I know I've made quite a few mistakes here so there's plenty for some to learn from (especially me).

Ahh yes, I could see that. I have CPDs in my tank now and the Pink Danios are now in their rightful place in my wife's tank. I will see about posting some pics later.

Glad to see an update! What size shrimp tank will you be doing?

Back
Top Bottom