20 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
My brother has a cycled, heavily planted 20 gallon tank and is now adding fish. I was just wondering if all these fish could fit or if it would be overstocked.
6 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Fancy Guppies
2 Danios
3 Cories
3 Otos
1 German Blue Ram
Is this over stocked??? And are all these fish Compatible? Thanks!

Seems over stocked to me I would cut out the guppies and the cories and then try to get a pair of German blue rams

Edit: I would also remove the danios because they need a school

Do they have to be in a pair? And how do you get a pair when the sexes aren't labeled in the store??

vanimal said:
Do they have to be in a pair? And how do you get a pair when the sexes aren't labeled in the store??

You don't have to get a pair, you could get two females or a male and a female. They wont always pair up though. Check out a thread I started labeled "German blue ram sex?" that can help you determine the sex of the rams

I agree, a bit overstocked and some of the fish would need more numbers (danios, etc).

You could do:
6-8 Neons
4 small corys like Panda, cory hasbrosus, cory hastus or cory pygmaeus (I would't get any of the larger corys like sterbai)
2 guppies
1 dwarf gourami or sparkling gourami as a centerpiece might fit better than a german blue ram in a 20

I'd wait on the otos until the tank matures some; they can be tricky to feed as some only eat algae and are sensitive to water conditions so waiting until the tank is more established might be a good idea

from that list i would get rid of the danios and guppies and increase the amount of cories .

He's going with
5 Neon Tetras
5 Black Neon Tetras
2 Danios
3 Emerald Cories
3 Otos

If he is set on the danios (which I understand, I like them too) just tell him he can have them if he gives up some of the other fish.

Oh, and just to clarify, we are talking about zebra danios, not giant danios, correct?

bud29 said:
OK.....I didn't want to be accidentally recommending a school of giant danios in a 20 gallon.

I understand haha that would be bad.

Change in stock
5 Neon Tetras
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Danios
3 Emerald Cories
3 Otos

Back
Top Bottom