20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbyno22

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have a 20 gallon tank with a 30 gallon filter. We had a major snail problem, so we got rid of our stock of guppies (the breeding was too much), and started fresh with a couple yo yo loaches. We kept our existing 2 pygmy corys (we can only keep those 2 alive...Petco is the only store in our area that sells them, and stock is obviously not good quality. But, they are thriving, and do not seem stressed).
We have slowly been adding stock, and currently have:

2 yo yo loaches
1 bristle nose pleco
2 pygmy corys
2 dwarf guorami

Aqadvisor has us fully stocked, but the only visible fish are the guorami and cory, and even then, the guorami usually hide in the plants.

We would like to add 3 bolivian rams, and 1 more loach (I read they like to be in groups of 3), but that puts us way over stock.

Do I Include the pleco and the corys in the stocking level, since they are bottom feeders? Realistically, as far as swimming space, basically the whole tank is free. Would it be okay to add the rams?

Sorry so long winded, lol

Sent from my SM-N910P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes include the pleco and cory cats in stocking. Plecos are incredibly dirty fish and produce large amounts of waste. A 20 gallon seems a little small for a bristle nose. I would not put three Bolivian rams in the tank as that would cause territorial issues and aggression in all likelihood. If you put Bolivian rams in the aquarium put only one or a male/female pair. As long as you do frequent water changes and put in a little extra effort for tank maintenance you should be fine stocking wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The assassin snails weren't touching the problem. The loach ate the eggs, and killed 99% of the snails

Sent from my SM-N910P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom